Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great nicol_g 2007-10-02 15:02

The 'shoulder way of transportation' is familiar to me from some of your previous pictures, but the other aspect of your story (Pham Xuan An) 'met my ear' for the first time - and what a story, Thanh!
A request: what's the meaning of the phrase "Van Minh, Vo Nguoi" ? Thank you.

I agree with David about the slight rotation of the image -about 2 degrees to the left would look just fine to me (I tried it). Other than that, I like the picture.
Kind regards.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 AM
TE Expert

Default To nicol_g: Confused...

Nicol:
I've got a little confused of the phrase you asked, "Van Minh, Vo Nguoi" , because Vietnamese use accents and one word can be translated into several meanings.
Please tell me the entire paragraph, so I could figure out. Thanks.
Regards,

Thanh
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To nicol_g: Confused...

I'm sorry, Thanh, I wrote the phrase as I found it - it is mentioned in the presentation of the 'Perfect Spy' book that I learned following the link in your note.

Here is a fragment: "He also told me that he did not want to read the manuscript until published, citing a Vietnamese phrase “Van Minh, Vo Nguoi.” An was telling me that he could always find something in my writing that he did not like, but he would not sit in judgment of his biographer’s conclusions since he had chosen not to write his own story. That was our deal; in exchange, I had unparalleled access to a spy."

Thank you.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To nicol_g: "VAN MINH VO NGUOI"

Nicol:

So, the paragraph that contains the phrase is:

"He also told me that he did not want to read the manuscript until published, citing a Vietnamese phrase “Van Minh, Vo Nguoi.” An was telling me that he could always find something in my writing that he did not like, but he would not sit in judgment of his biographer’s conclusions since he had chosen not to write his own story. That was our deal; in exchange, I had unparalleled access to a spy."

In this case, the correct Vietnamese phrase with full & accurate accent is Văn Měnh, Vợ Người. [Văn = literature, writings / Měnh = my own / Vợ = wife / Người = of others]. This idiom illustrates a psychological illusion, that I always saw my own writings the best, and the wifes of other people are more beautiful or charming than mine.

Here, Pham Xuan An humbly told Larry Berman that he did not want to read the manuscript until published, because his subjective judgment will be inevitable as he read other people book.

I hope the above explanation answers what you would like to know. Thank you for a good question.

Thanh
Old 10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
TE Junior Member

With the explanation you kindly gave me I can understand the context the phrase was used here.
I was curious about it - I always like to learn/ discover sayings specific to other nations - it's nice & instructive.

Thank you, thank you...

Nicol
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 AM
TE Newbie

NgyThanh's explanation (on the phrase) is quite corrected. Even one of the Bible's 10 Commandments did warn about lusting after other's wife - to emphasis the meaning of "Vợ Người" is somehow "better than one's own. However, the American often jokes with one another with the term "take my wife, please!", which amused me, because other's wife it's not always better than the one you have, in some case, it's even worse. Nevertheless, the phrase "Văn Měnh, Vợ Người." is exactly of what NgyThanh said: it's just an a psychological illusion.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 AM
TE Newbie

Default "Take my wife, please!"

I think "VO NGUOI" (other's wife is better than mine) is in line with "TAKE MY WIFE, PLEASE!" because the American phrase suggests the thought, "I am feeded up with my wife", as in this situation:

A woman says to a man, "I haven't seen you around here." "Yes, I just got out of jail for killing my wife." "So you're single!"

Nicol has raised a very good question.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: "Take my wife, please!"

As men kept complaining about their wifes, and wanted someone to take her away, there is another joke:

A devoted wife had spent her lifetime taking care of her husband.

When he was slipping in and out of a coma for several months, she stayed by his bedside every single day. When he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer.

As she sat by him, he said, "You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times.

"When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you gave me support. When my health started failing, you were still by my side.

"You know what?"

"What, dear?" his wife asked gently.

"I think you bring me bad luck."
Old 10-07-2007, 01:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: "Take my wife, please!"

Thanks to the other friends for their contribution :)