Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > TE Treks

Notices

Old 01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Anyone interested in trek to Myanmar

Seems I just put a post in the wrong forum (the General one)...

So again: I wonder if anyone wld be intersted in a trek to Myanmar in November /December? I could arrange workshops with pro photogrpahers and for the Burma part to be led by an award-winning Burmese photogrpaher. Maybe 10 days, and for no more than, say 15, people. If enough interest I'll look into details.

Philip.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in trek to Myanmar

I am interested, Philip. I was thinking of doing just that this April/May when I returned for my annual visit to VN. Any reason why it has to be in Nov/Dec?

Thien
Old 01-07-2004, 06:48 PM
TE Senior Member

I am interested Philip, it sounds great. November would be better for me certainly. December my be difficult, unless it was late december (after about the 20th). Let me know, I would love to participate.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Thien

I think April/May would be too short a lead-time for organisation (finding hotels, arranging things generally). And also that's the hottest time of year - November/December is cooler. But let's see what the general feeling is. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:56 AM
TE Junior Member

I'll keep you informed. If a few people from TE are interested I'll start looking more widely, on other photo sites.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:54 AM
TE Senior Member

Any idea about estimated cost? I am thinking of returning to SEAsia this fall, perhaps en route to Japan to teach English. I'll continue to check this thread.

Cheers!

alex
Old 01-08-2004, 03:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Cost will depend of how long we stay and what we do/where we go. I checked out some tour operaters - one for 17 days staying in top hotels and traveling around by air (internally) for 0ver $3,000 a head (ouch!). I tihnk I can get cheaper hotels, 3 and 4 star instead of 5, and travel by train and boat instead of by air. Plus less sightseeing, more photogrpahy, means avoiding entrance fees (and the Govt of Burma charges entrance fees everywhere! - but there are places to go for photos that have no fees). That can reduce costs. On the other hand, having my pro photographer friends do workshops and accompany the group, might well eat into those savings.

At the moment I foresee an itinerary like this:
Day 1: Arrive Bangkok. In the evening, workshop on travel photogrpahy by a professional photogrpaher based in Bangkok.
Day 2: Arrive Yangon. Workshop by an award-winning Burmese photogrpaher who will lead the group. Special performance of Burmese classical dance with opportunities to photograph.
Day 3: Photo-oriented visit to Shwedagon in the morning. Midday in the hotel (it's hot out there!) Later in the afternoon, visit to the Rangoon waterfront and Strand hotel, chance for street photogrpahy.
Day 4: Yangon. Free. (Take your own photos.)
For anyone interested, a trip across the river to Dalla, chance for street photogrpahy/rural photogrpahy.
Day 5: Train to Manddalay.
Day 6: Maybe a temple festival out in the country, or maybe visit to Bagaya monastery to photogrpah monastic life.
Day 7: Boat to Bagan.
Day 8: Burmese tour leader to show how to create pictorial photos in the setting of a temple, using novice monks from a local monastery.
Day 9: Free.
Day 10: Return to Yangon by boat.
Day 11: Yangon.
Day 12: Return to Bangkok.

If enough people express interest, I'll check out more options and contact my photogrpaher friends in Bangkok and Yangon.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Philip,

Of course it is impossible to organize it for April/May timeframe. I was thinking of omitting from my trip and go somewhere else for my April/May trip and join the gang for Myanmar. :D

Thien
Old 01-08-2004, 05:14 AM
TE Junior Member

Sounds sweet :) I rather stay with the local if I have the choice as long as I can charge my batteries and laptop, I am a happy camper. That's said $3,000 is not a small sum either :D. I don't mind travel by bus or train.

Thien
Old 01-08-2004, 10:00 AM
TE Junior Member

Ok Thien - let me know if you can keep the November/December timeframe open, love to meet everyone, would be great! :-).