Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great rbcy1974 2007-09-21 1:28

Hello John
COngratulations on your 100th,
very nice repetitive patterns caputred here,
the siemens sign provides a nice contrast;
I am hoping to go there at the end of this year.
Is it safe? How did you get around? IS it expensive?
Cheers
Daniel

Old 09-22-2007, 06:08 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To rbcy1974: Yemen

Daniel,

Thanks for the critique...and David could probably give you alot more up to date info but from my experience a year and a half ago -

Yes, it's safe. But yoy can't be stupid about it. It looks like it is safer now, but I do know a couple of French tourists were killed a few months ago. No shoving cameras in people's faces. When I went any photography of women was strictly prohibited. All the men in Sana'a carry jambiya's (large curved knives) but are extremely kind. I would say it is as safe as you are smart about things. As well as it is as dangerous as you are "stupid" about things. I think things have "loosened" up a bit but again, Dave can give you more up to date info. Watch the military checkpoints. I basically stayed in and around Sana'a so my transportation issues were fairly easy. It was actually really cheap. I mean, dirt cheap, depending on how low you want to go. I would go back tomorrow if I could...it is worth the ric=sk. The country is a like nothing else I've ever seen, parts of it are really stuck in the past. It's pretty wild and unusual. Tribal type of country. Government comes second...let me know if need anything, I'll try to help.

John