Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 01:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Steve McCurry Burma Workshop

This looks interesting and entertaining.

http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=136089

I was thinking how nice it would be to hang out with someone like him (like Jinju did with Harvey) until i saw the price tag! It got me thinking about other workshops and how much i'd be willing to pay. Maybe a three day workshop might be better for me!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Steve McCurry Burma Workshop

If you want to fly really high, Will, you can always hang out with Furachan in Tokyo for an afternoon - great experience, profoundly education and all ;o)))

Seriously I believe there might be another way which is "hanging out" (maybe that was the case with Jinju, or... assisting one of these luminaries. Now in the age of digital there is less to do but someone for example had to hold a portable slave flash unit while David Alan Harvey shot street scenes in Africa a while back. Now one is bound to learn something by watching these birds in action...
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
TE Expert

It seems the WS and price is definitely geared towards people who can spend money faster than they take pictures, and want to hang out with a "star" of travel photography. In that optic, it's probably very cheap to them. I feel a bit strange about choosing such impoverished country to conduct a high-end photo WS. Maybe I am wrong to think like this.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Dave Harvey is doing a workshop in Bangkok, for $3,000. Thats more like it! Although i need to pass the portfolio stage. Still a bit above my budget although you get to be with him for a week!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 AM
TE Expert

If you are really motivated, and serious about reaching a new stage with you photography, You may want to bring that up to him and ask if your situation (student, financial, professional) may entitle you to some kind of "discount". He is certainly the kind of person who'd go out of his way to help a promising talent.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
TE Expert

Why not KIDNAP the guy, get him to reveal all his secrets to you for a week then resell him to MAGNUM for $6000? Now THAT's a business idea...
Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM
TE Senior Member

I think the reason McCurry chose such a country to do his workshop in is simply that is one of his most regular haunts. Thinking about it, McCurry has made his career working in the developing world. I wouldn't consider taking a McCurry workshop conducted only in Beverly Hills; that is not the kind of photography I associate with him. When I think of McCurry, I think of India, Afghanistan, Burma, Thailand, etc. It seems fitting that is where he would take his monied students. Further, as he is a very regular visitor to that area, he likely has very good contacts there, both as fixers as well as possible models, etc.

I know McCurry does a NYC workshop every year too (actually, maybe more than one). That is only a three day job if I remember and much less pricey. Also, he does a big Asia one yearly too. Last year I believe it was Northern India and the year before that Bhutan. I would love to go, but always have money to spend elsewhere.

The DAH in Bangkok would be cool, as it is affordable (kind of) and he genuinely seems like a fun guy to hang out with. Not that McCurry isn't too.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

I've met McCurry at a Nat Geo media shindig in Tokyo a few years back, Darre. Shook hands, talked about equipment a bit and his recent trip (then) to Afghanistan. Nice, unassuming guy but "a fun guy to hang around with????" I don't think those are the right words. This is a SERIOUS guy here.
DAH on the other hand strikes me as much more sociable, funny, mischievous even, both from hs blog and the brief exchanges I had with him here on TE after I kind of insulted him;o) Of the two I'd go for a DAH deal anytime, no offense to McCurry.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 PM
TE Expert

I have enjoyed his pictures, but never been amazed by Mc Curry's photography. I don't know everything of course, but it seems a bit unpersonal to me, then again, it may be why people like him so much, the ultimate travel photographer, His pictures seem to tell people, with a few good technical advices, their last photos from Myanmar, India and whatnot could have impressed friends to say (and people do say that, all the time): Wow! Nice, it makes me think of the shot that guy (Mc Curry invariably) took....
Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
TE Expert

Yes. I much prefer DAH's work though there are a few striking hots in SOuth South East...bon...