Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Good Wandering_Dan 2007-08-31 22:50

Very interesting and informative note! For myself, I eonly joined TE a couple of weeks ago, but I've already learned a lot, and your story encourages me to expect to learn more.

For instance, I did not know about the f16 softness problem, though I have heard there are softness issues with D-SLR's in general in certain conditions. Given the number of photos here that do display good crispness at f16, I feel there have to be other factors at work, which will also need to be taken into account.

As for this photo, I find it a bit contrasty, perhaps from the sharpening, but still a quite good photo in terms of compositio and lighting. The square format works for this image, too.

Since you say in your intro that you don't like people who give double points for mediocre photos, and since are unhappy with this one, will you settle for one point?

And when do we get to see #300?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Wandering_Dan: Softness at f/16

Yes, you are right, Dan - there are plenty of photos on TE which display good sharpness at f/16, because as Henk has pointed out above, it is the quality of the glass in the lens that determines how soft or crisp the image will be at different f stops. Maybe the 1/80th shutter speed affected the sharpness of this too (I so wish I had taken my tripod with me on the climb up the hill to prove that right or wrong) but I think the softness is mainly due to the lens.

Yes, I'm more than happy to settle for one point - I meant what I said about appreciating honest critiques.

Cheers . . . David