Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Mondaychild 2007-06-20 4:52

Hi Marjolein,

well, Iīm - like Jack - not quite sure about the ethical side of this photo ... Iīm also not quite sure whether I would have taken a photo of a dead cat ... BUT:

No one on this site could/would say thatīs a pet photo. The cat is already death, and this - no doubt - shocking fact makes this photo even more touching, for perhaps even more people. My cat was of almost the same size when I got it.

The most remarkable sentence in your note is the last one: "... soon this kitten will become food itself". The reality IS that sad.

What do you want, Mr. Johanson, Ms. Cordts? Only nice photos of green hills, of well-fed puppies, of little kiddies with "innocence in their eyes". How sweet! But thatīs not the full story about the world. And the intention of this site IS to LEARN ABOUT THE WORLD. About the nice places, but also about the not so nice places!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Mondaychild: Nature

Hi Gisi,

I agree with Jack that the photo is not esthetic - but deliberately so! I did my best here to just record, as neutrally as possible, to not prettify what isn't pretty - but not ethical? That I don't understand.

Interesting that you find the "... soon this kitten will become food itself" sad - that's simply a natural process; nature cleans up after itself. If every kitten born would grow up to be a big cat, it would be a lot sadder, I think. Which is sadder: killing all or most kittens in a litter (as we in the rich west do), or nature taking its course and allowing the fittest and smartest to survive, recycling the rest? Plastic bags floating around nearly everywhere are a lot sadder to me than a little dead kitten that will just quietly disappear even if it isn't swept up.

But everyone looks at the world through their own eyes - with their own brains.

When I travel, I certainly don't just look for the pretty or beautiful things. Every country, every culture, has its beauty, its ordinariness and its ugliness. I try to see it all; I don't just walk in the just-renovated and swept streets with freshly-plastered and painted buildings renovated with lots of money from UNESCO; I also go in the backstreets where people live their ordinary lives.

Photography allows us to show what the world looks like through our eyes. When you look through mine, you won't see only pretty things and nice places.

Whoever doesn't like that should simply not look at my photographs.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Mondaychild: Nature

I agree. Iīm also interested much more in the normal peopleīs lives, in their traditions, their lifestyle, AND their PROBLEMS - much more than in things like the Eiffel Tower or the Taj Mahal.

Donīt get me wrong ... for sure, itīs a lot sadder if we put dead anymals in the trashbin. But what I meant by "SAD" is, that it seems the only reason for this catīs life was to become food for another animal.

In the nature, there is a circle: Every animal eat something and got eaten. But this cat couldnīt eat anything by herself ... Thatīs the sad thing about it.

Iīm not the one to discard dead pets ... or even dead birds killed by my cats to waste. I dig a hole in the garden ...

About the ethics: Iīm not quite sure whether I would take a photo of anything dead, no matter if itīs a cat in the streets or a human or whatever ... But thatīs just me ...

Your message was clear. And it was good to post this photo on this site. But I know there are a lot of people, also on this site, who just want to see photos of beautiful monuments, of nice babies, of palm trees on the beach, etc. And thatīs sad, too.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Mondaychild: Nature

Gisi,

Yes, I understand what you're saying now, about the only reason for the cat's life, and the ethics, or not.

I know there are a lot of people, also on this site, who just want to see photos of beautiful monuments, of nice babies, of palm trees on the beach, etc. And thatīs sad, too.And I couldn't agree more!