Notices

Old 11-05-2004, 07:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

Dream on..
Old 11-05-2004, 09:22 PM
TE Senior Member

If there was a problem with your critiques you would have found out by now. Since you specifically say what you do or don't like about the photos, that satisfies TE's definition of critique. Maybe an example will help:

"I really like this photo, particularly the texture and colour of the cookies"

"I really like this photo it reminds me of the time that my grandma baked me cookies and I got sick from eating too many"

One of these is a critique and one of these is a comment. I'll let everybody argue as to which is which. :)
Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 PM
TE Expert

I think you say these becouse you have the ability to write well in English language as you living in USA. For those people (including) me that can not express their feelings well in a foreign language that their language is very dificult. I can write nice critiques who much words but in my language (Greek). Who can translate my greeklish critique? Only the Greeks! This is unfair!

I have to make a propose: The new TOS rules must applicated for the users that living in a country that the native language is English (USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand etc). That would be fair? Of couse not! Now why the new TOS are "very simple" and fair?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:49 PM
TE Senior Member

The translate link does translate from Greek to English, so what is the problem? I invite you to comment on my photos in Greek.

Σας προσκαλώ για να σχολιάσω τις φωτογραφίες μου στα ελληνικά.

By the way, has anybody ever complained about your critiques? I think they are completely within TE's definition of critique.

Also one more point: the TOS rules above are NOT new. They were always that way. Adam simply clarified them and added a new rule about promising "points later".
Old 11-06-2004, 12:01 AM
TE Expert

Ok! I have put a critique in Greek in this page:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo72231.htm

Try to translate to see what happens! The translation from Greeks to English or other language with Babelfish that TE use is for laughs!
Old 11-06-2004, 12:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Default offer your critique rather than just pts for nothing

I would rather have the critique offered in your language and try to make it out in Babelfish, than have an empty comment. The usual critiques, such as technical or emotional comments, can be translated, or are easy enough to figure out if you try. And if it's my own photo, of course I will try to figure out what it is you want to say! Some people won't, but then they probably don't listen to critiques in their own language either.

If Babelfish doesn't make sense, I use another translator too - there are many that are easy to find besides just this one, and for free too. Try http://translation.langenberg.com/

The example you used was easy enough for me to figure out until you through in the comparison comment at the end - and you know yourself that was unfair. The main idea usually gets through, even in Babelfish, and if not, it's always okay to ask. That's how we learn. I learned how to pronounce a word in Icelandic just the other week from TE, because I asked the photographer! What a laugh I must have been to him for not knowing, eh? :o)
Old 11-06-2004, 03:50 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Reading Babelfish translation...

...an easy one: 'David in front of Goliah'. As being Swede my biggest problem there was to find an English name for 'Goliat', but I managed...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: offer your critique rather than just pts for nothing

No Michelle, you don't understand! I have not the mood to "trap" the user with the comparision at the end of my critique. When I called to write a critique in Greek, I'm "thinking Greek" to write it! And not English! If a foreign user must write a critique in English for example, he must "think" in English to make a readable critique. You see, the differences between the languages are not only the syntax, the words and the grammatic but also the "thinking".

When I write or speak my native language, I'm "thinking" like a Greekman and not like an American, Englishman or French! The Greek language is so complicated that not even the best translator can make a good translate of the text! That's the point...
Old 11-07-2004, 03:19 PM
TE Junior Member

So, are you saying then that you would rather not try to communicate at all? For me, I would rather you at least try to tell me something. Even if I can never really understand, it's better for me to try, isn't it?

Even among people who all speak one language, meanings and implications can be misinterpreted. Perhaps we should all try a little harder to understand one another. But we can't do that if there is nothing written at all. Our languages are such a blessing, so we can communicate together, and I feel that I've learned a lot from the various comments and notes written from around the world. Perhaps this is because I've had a little language training and I do understand the differences in ways of thought. Maybe some people don't appreciate that. I just wanted to share my opinion. I thank you for sharing your opinion too.

Michelle
Old 11-07-2004, 05:08 PM
TE Expert

My dear Michelle, our problem here it's not the differences of the languages. I believe the new TOS is a little bit unfair, to turn off for a user the capability to give points or to write a critique that understand and want's better and for the shake of he cann't express his feelings and critique view in English language.

I respect the critique of my photos in a foreign language (i.e. French or Italian) of course! That's not the point...