Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 05-24-2006, 02:24 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

I was searching for some help in the forums & subsequently read this entry & added what I thought was a partial solution to help new people in regards critiquing... I had no idea items in the forum were open or closed... if this is the case, then a message/tag should be added stating the status of a forum entry...
Old 05-24-2006, 02:36 AM
TE Senior Member

I understand your point of view and agree that - as in reality no items in the forum are closed - an expire date should be set. However opening an obviously old item which might contain problems already dealt with, might lead to misunderstandings among those only reading the latest contributions. Why not open a new thread instead?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 AM
TE Newbie

I agree with your points too... has the problem of getting more new people to critique been resolved?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:31 AM
TE Expert

With all due respect, Peter, I think you've got it the wrong way around: short critiques are the biggest offenders here - "Nicer shot, beautiful colors. Love it. AMong your best". The loooooong ones, such as those by yourself and Luko are fantastic mini-essays, sometimes rambling, but always intelligent and of interest to many.
So I see it as the complete opposite. To push it to its ridiculous conlcusion: no critique that has less than 300 characters should be allowed - you MUST say something, and fter the first 100 or so you will run out of cliches, I bet you!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 AM
TE Expert

Francis, with this thread being almost 2 years old I have lost track of who is saying what to whom ;-) (I have suggested implementing quoting into the forum to help with exchanges, obviously completely ignored as usual), but I am pretty sure I am thinking along the lines of your idea, I was never a big fun of copy and paste one sentence crap that we see here all the time.

Unless you are replying to another Peter, in which case I will go back to hiding;-)
Peter
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
TE Expert

No, it's me, man, and I only realized later that I was dredging up the past here ;o)
I don't think Adam ignores anything to be honest though, the guy is doing a monstrous, thankless, multitasking job, juggling many talented and sometimes fractious egos as he goes- I wouldn't do his job if you paid me.
Now could the system be better? Sure.
Is there a lot of "Your're OK, I'm OK" back and forth among critiques?
Absolutely
Is there mediocrity? (Is Stevie Wonder blind?)
But I for one thank my lucky stars I stumbled onto this flawed jewel of a site a year ago - like Gaby out on the banks of the Niger, Rafal in Seoul, I'm in this place that's still strange after 18 years, far away from my origins, and with TE I get to "broadcast" little reports in images and words every damn day, and Peter, I value that, overlooking the imperfections.
And you know what? When I see your name among the critiquers, my heartbeat picks up a little because I know that whatever it is, it's going to be valuable, and I don't delete anymore, buddy so that people of your caliber will feel comfortable dropping in and spending some time gathering their thoughts.
Sorry for the long drool here, my friend, but this was a chance for me to
explain where I'm coming from vis-a-vis TE, and I think it's the first time I've put it quite like this.
All the best to you,
-F
Old 05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
TE Expert

hi everybody.
i wonder what is the problem with critiques being general or not... it is the one being critiqued who is judge of their relevance...isnt that all thing going to hamper a free flow of critiques right or wrong as they maybe?
one reads the critiques on his photos, then interpret it as he wishes...i just wonder who doest it disturb if a poor soul says wow! great photo!!?????
maybe something i didnt understand!!
excuse my english!
laurent