Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 11-19-2004, 04:02 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

Wow Adam,you're strict ! If you're going to read and reply to all reactions you get you wont have time anymore to enjoy the lovely contributions. :-)
Can I make a suggestion ?
The comment/critique choice is above the window, all other choices are beneath it.
Perhaps it is a good idea to put the comment choice there too.
From my own experience I know I almost never look at comment/critique, but start to write, never knowing what flows out of my pen (or finger ;-) ). The window might scroll up and the comment/critique choice is no longer visible. I then continue with points, language, submit...
Anyway, I appreciate your initiative(s) very much, as well as your efforts to maintain and direct it.
Kind regards
Old 11-20-2004, 02:57 AM
TE Expert

Well, that makes sense, too. But I don't think it should be in both places. An option should be in one place or the other. Maybe I should rename the header to simply 'Add', and have the comment/critique option down below. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:27 AM
TE Newbie

Hello, I don't add much to the forums, however, my suggestion would be, particularly for those, like myself that aren't totally comfortable with what should or shouldn't be added in a critique is to have a drop-down window when you have selected to add a critique with the areas (ie. creative, technical & emotion) & checklist of criteria within each of these areas that need to be covered/written to ensure you are correctly critiquing (is this a word?) within the TOS... & the same with the comments section!
Cheers, Joffre.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:16 AM
TE Expert

Hi,
I think one's critiquing skills and value are improving over time like photographic skills.... i know this is not a website meant to improve one's critique skills... but one should be given a chance to improve his critiques... why not warn a user his critiques are irrelevant and after a X number of critiques that are actually regarded as comments or useless by the admin. then remove temporarily critiquing ability... i think that would entice users to be more meaningful in their (my!!) critiques...
Regards!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM
TE Expert

why not warn a user his critiques are irrelevant and after a X number of critiques that are actually regarded as comments or useless by the admin. then remove temporarily critiquing ability...

That's how it works today.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
TE Expert

like myself that aren't totally comfortable with what should or shouldn't be added in a critique

I think the point 14.1 in the TOS is quite clear about what can be written as critique and what can't.

14. Discussion replies should address specific issues in a critique/comment. Excessive 'thank you' replies may be removed.

1. Critiques
1. Critiques are to be used for any critical or praiseworthy comments about the critiqued photo.
2. Overly general critiques i.e. Nice shot, Great, I like it a lot! etc. are highly discouraged and may be removed.
3. Critiques must include specific reasons as to why a photo is either good or needs improvement.
4. Critiques which only include broad generalizations such as good composition, nice colors etc. should be marked as a comment. Writing these general critiques may be removed, and the ability to write critiques may be disabled. (It will still be possible to write comments.)
5. Critiquing is one of the core aspects of TrekEarth and all helpful critiques are welcomed, however critiquing mostly friend/family members without critiquing others is unfair to the other members and breaches the community spirit of this site. Please critique fairly, as failure to do so may result in removal of critiques and/or ratings or account removal.
6. Critiques may not contain any mention of points to be given in the future. If you run out of points, feel free to continue writing thoughtful critiques without mention of points.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
TE Expert

Adam,
I just want to add a note here. Do not forget that the people who will be giving the Critique/Comments are mostly amateurs trying to learn photography and learn something about the world we live in through photography. There may be a few professionals and very experienced photographers, but the majority are beginners. The majority of our members themselves are not professional reviewers and are doing this critique work for the first time. Are they doing it correctly? You need to study and practice to do good critique work. It will take some time for members to learn and practice. Even the experienced photographers are guilty when it comes to good critique. Will the members be able to learn it properly? So maybe some good examples should be given and recommend reference articles on this subject. Most of the critiques of reviewers I experienced here, are guilty of trying to make you follow their style. I hope I brought up a point here.

Andre'
Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 AM
TE Expert

Adam,

I just want to add a note here. Do not forget that the people who will be giving the Critique/Comments are mostly amateurs trying to learn photography and learn something about the world we live in through photography. There may be a few professionals and very experienced photographers, but the majority are beginners. The majority of our members themselves are not professional reviewers and are doing this critique work for the first time. Are they doing it correctly? You need to study and practice to do good critique work. It will take some time for members to learn and practice. Even the experienced photographers are guilty when it comes to good critique. Will the members be able to learn it properly? So maybe some good examples should be given and recommend reference articles on this subject. Most of the critiques of reviewers I experienced here, are guilty of trying to make you follow their style. I hope I brought up a point here.

Andre'
Old 05-24-2006, 01:11 AM
TE Newbie

Yes, I agree that 14.1 of the TOS is cystal clear... that isn't the point, the point is people not comfortable critiquing need more information on 'how' to critique... perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my earlier posting!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:02 AM
TE Senior Member

This an old thread from October/November 2004 - why was it brought to life again?