Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 11-07-2004, 05:14 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

For me, the 2nd is a comment (and for TOS I thinl) because it's not criticize the photo but express a memory from the use who write the critique.

Let's play another quiz: The following text is a critique or a comment?

"I really like this photo, particularly the texture and colour of the cookies. It reminds me of the time that my grandma baked me cookies and I got sick from eating too many"
Old 11-07-2004, 09:22 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: offer your critique rather than just pts for nothing

ok with why u say
Jean Michel
Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 AM
TE Expert

Default However I feel that points aren't important, critiques are.

Indeed, I saw so many good photos already with only a few points. You can be sure about that, when critiques are weak, the photo is weak, even with a lot of points.

So what does indicate points then actually ?
Your popularity ?
Your extended PR by keeping up your 20 critiques a day ?
Your membership of an enclosed group supporting each others ?
A good photo ?

I think points are only good for keeping people going to look around and inviting others to their photo to hear what they have to say about it and a good critique is like a fine gesture to take you on in the various disciplines of photographical art and there are so many ways in it !

I think reading the critiques helps you far more to spot the good qualities of a photo that you can built in your personal approach of photographie.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:54 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: However I feel that points aren't important,....

That's why I still got the feeling that newly updated photos shouldn't be ratable at all, only comments, then only people are forced to go into a gallery to pick out your better photos and you got a far better impression in your own gallery of your best photos.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:04 PM
TE Senior Member

This is a critique. Yes there is a comment there but it says something specific about the photo. I leave these kinds of critiques all the time.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:34 PM

"I really like this photo, particularly the texture and colour of the cookies. It reminds me of the time that my grandma baked me cookies and I got sick from eating too many"

Yup. That is a critique in my view because it does explain why you like the photo. If the observations about texture and colour weren't there it definitely becomes a simply comment.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 AM
TE Expert

Default Of course critiques are more important!

Of couse critique are more important than points! I prefer some good critiques who improoves my skills but I think points are somewhat nessecary to "encourage" the photographer to continues sending good photos!

The points as a "award" for the user, makes him to send more quality jobs!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:22 AM
TE Expert

Correct! I think it's a mixed thing. A critique and comment together.

For me a critique is a text who express the feelings for the photo of the user and as I said before, for a user who not speak English very well, it's not so easy to express these feelings so good!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 AM
TE Newbie

I used to enjoy TE but it has now gone beyond me. I do not have the ability to technically criticise a photo and therefore do not presume to do so. I know what I like and I like to say I like it, it may be the colouring, the composition or it just appeals to me. This new ruling means that I will no longer participate in TE as I am not prepared to post photos and receive points, when I am ruled out of giving points to others. There are probably plenty of others in my situation for whom the enjoyment has now gone. All I can suggest is that 1 point be allowed for comments with 2 for critiques.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 PM
TE Newbie

Je me sens beaucoup d'affinités avec le point de vue exprimé par Jean Michel.
Plus je parcours cette discussion moins je comprends ce qu'est une bonne critique (non répréhensible) aux yeux de la communauté TE.
Je comprends le soucis de la qualité des critiques, mais j'ai l'impression que, dans la discussion, chacun se fait le défenseur de l'une ou l'autre conception très théorique de la 'bonne critique'. Si j'ai parfois l'impression que certains (et moi aussi quand je suis fatigué) se réfugient dans une pseudo-appréciation technique pour s'épargner l'effort de formuler ce qu'ils ont vu et apprécié dans une image. En général, je crois les gens sincères et je pense que nous exprimons comme nous pouvons, dans la langue que nous croyons devoir utiliser ou par notre silence, la perception que nous avons du travail des autres.
D'habitude, j'apprends autant, sinon plus, des critiques que je rédige que de celles que l'on m'adresse. L'effort d'observer et d'exprimer ce que j'ai apprécié instinctivement me permet d'apprendre du travail des autres.
Dans les critiques que je reçois, j'aime celles qui me font découvrir dans ma photo quelque chose que je n'y avais pas vu moi même (qualité, défaut, détail, symbôle, évocation, ...)
De ce point de vue, les critiques n'ont pas besoin d'être rationnalisées. Une production artistique (un poème, un workshop, une autre photo du même endroit) constitue à mes yeux une critique tout aussi valide qu'une analyse détaillée des qualités et défauts de l'image.
A ce point de ma réflexion, je me demande qui peut juger la qualité des critiques et comment.
Et les points ? Sans être jaloux ni envieux des points obtenus par les autres, je confesse être très sensible à ceux que j'obtiens. Ils mesurent (approximativement sans doute) non seulement l'attention accordée à mes photos (le nombre de vues en témoigne aussi bien) mais l'appréciation de mon travail.
Merci à tous.