Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 10-14-2004, 08:36 AM
TE Expert

Default TOS Changes and More

Original: Critiques which include broad generalizations such as good composition, nice colors etc. should be marked as a comment. Such critiques may be marked as a comment. Writing excessive amounts of these general critiques may be removed, and the ability to write critiques may be disabled. (It will still be possible to write comments.)

New: Critiques which include broad generalizations such as good composition, nice colors etc. should be marked as a comment. Writing these general critiques may be removed, and the ability to write critiques may be disabled. (It will still be possible to write comments.)

Meaning: Anyone with more a few 'nice shot' type critiques that have not been marked as a comment will have critiquing ability turned off. However it will still be possible to write comments. If you still want to write critiques, your account will be reviewed later to confirm that actual critiques are being written.

Added: Critiques may not contain any mention of points to be given in the future. If you run out of points, feel free to continue writing thoughtful critiques without mention of points.

Meaning: I want to remove a perception that this site is mostly about points, which this helps contribute to.

In addition, since critique ability is turned off for some members who write general critiques, the default is now to supress comments. Everyone's account has been reset to display comments in a separate section, which may be accessed by clicking [view] in the comments row of the photo information section.

Finally, all themes referring to X amount of points have been removed, and will no longer be permitted. I feel this goes against the spirit of the site since it's not possible to sort by highest rated etc.

Thanks for any feedback on this. And please consider taking advantage of the Lists feature to track like-minded members, whoever they may be. Remember that this site is a diverse, open community with members participating with many different goals and ideas in mind.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

I think these are good decisions. General remarks on photos should be discouraged to be considered as critiques, and if strong measures are needed, like disabling the critique ability, I think they should be implemented.

Just a suggestion, maybe near the critique field there could be an advice for people to write the critiques in a language they feel comfortable with, and thus more adequate to share quality critiques.

I think some people are a bit scared to write in the native languages because they are afraid not to be understood; as well being TE is in the vast majority an English spoken site people feel “forced” to comply to this “rule”. By forced I mean people tend to follow the main stream, and this advice may give more ease to people.

I can state that since I’ve written in the top of my notes the languages that people are free to write since I understand them fairly well, many members opted to write in their native languages and the quality of their critiques did in fact increased.

Absolutly agree with the statement that TE is "a diverse, open community with members participating with many different goals and ideas in mind."

And that like-minded people could make use of the Favorite Members, and Lists feature, to get togheter with people that have the same views and objectives and thus experience TE the way they prefer.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Would it be too hard to be able to make it possible to see which people have rated your critique as useful?

This may encourage people to give good critiques if they can who and what critiques are getting the useful marks.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

HI Adam,

Some feedback:

"If you still want to write critiques, your account will be reviewed later to confirm that actual critiques are being written."

what do you mean here exactly ? Wouldn't it be an idea to implement a fixed "no-Critique" time, I'm thinking on a system similar to ice hockey or rugby where people are sent out during 10 minutes. With the current wording I get the feeling that people could be treated in an unequal way...
Also you could implement a message informing the user that his critiquing ability is locked for the next xx days.

Best Regards,
Jean-Yves
Old 10-14-2004, 04:50 PM
TE Senior Member

This looks fine to me Adam. Just 2 questions:

1) About the critiques/comments. Do you consider that a critique is only about technique ? If the critique refers mostly to the emotional, or symbolism (etc) aspects of the pic, can it be considered as a critique ? I would presume that it could be if we define the emotion is causes or what kind of symbolism we see in it ? As an example here is a link to the agfanet tutor page where professional photographs write critiques, all aspects are covered: technique,creativity. emotional. <a href=http://www.agfanet.com/en/cafe/tutor/cont_mcomment.php3?id=276>agfanet tutor</a>

2) How can you "control" the critique/comment when written in another language than English ? I do see a lot of "commentlike" critiques in French.

Another idea that I have in mind since some time: when we clic the TOS violation button it feels like a "hit and run" .. couldn't you just add a little window to write in a few words (maybe 10 words max) why we consider it a TOS violation. Sometimes it is obvious, but not always. I rarely clicked this button because I feel cheap to clic it without having the ability to say why I find it a TOS violation.

I will translate in French the TOS changes thread later on during the day.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:12 PM
TE Junior Member

That does look fine to me too Adam. I like the list idea and use it quite a lot already.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 PM
TE Expert

Judging by the numbers of hits each message receives I doubt many will read it, perhaps you may consider sending messages to members in a form of private message, announcement or something if possible.
Peter
Old 10-14-2004, 05:30 PM
TE Senior Member

As Homerhomer said, not everyone read these forums and even if they do, every now and then, how can they spot an important message such as this one amongs all these general threads. Why not make these announcements in the Annoucement Forum ? if we want to trace back a particular announcement it would be easier than going through the General forum. Beside this Announcement forum you could indicate Important ! in read instead of New in green, so that at least if we go on the forum page it would be more visible. Or even better, on the Home page why not a direct link flashing in red connecting to these new announcements, even the people who don't usually go to the forum page might be curious enough to go see what's new.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:27 PM

I think this thread could be locked in the top of the page so it wont desapear among the other threads, as long you feel necessary.

A flash advertisement/link in each member intro page during a few days could also be an option.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:36 PM
TE Senior Member

" flash advertisement/link in each member intro page during a few days could also be an option"

Jose, why make it complicated and hide such a link on the members' intro page, when it could be so easy if put on the Home page where you have to go to link to TE. And how many times to you go to your Intro page, I know I don't go unless I have to go by there to post a new photo or want to change something in my profiles, which is not every day, whereas I view photos every day.

I find the idea of locking the thread at the top of the page interesting but still it would not reach the members who are not interested in forums and who would need to be kept informed of new terms of service.