Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: tips for street photography..

Of course that is one man's description of what he thought he saw HCB do, and that was a long time ago.

It concurs with what I've always read about HCB. HCB has always claimed he liked the hunt better than the image itself, sometimes clicking on a "air camera" not bothered much to never have the final product in front of his eyes. (that's apparently what he told to Avedon when they met, as both photogs refused to get their portraits taken) Photographers of may 68 riots in Paris also remember of HCB taking only one image while they were shooting loads of rolls.

Evren, about Winogrand, I 'm not sure he would appreciate digital as he puts a time between the fact and the image. 100.000 exposures were said unexploited, either undevelopped or unedited at the time of his death.

In a way the film shows what I think is a main difference between HCB and GW, while GW claims there's no story inside the picture, just facts and 2D, HCB invents one in every of his, thanks to complex geometry and accurate timing.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 PM
TE Expert

".. about Winogrand, I 'm not sure he would appreciate digital as he puts a time between the fact and the image. 100.000 exposures were said unexploited, either undevelopped or unedited at the time of his death.."

yeap, 120,000 negatives and 30,000 color slides roughly.. (just a mental exercise though: 1 $ for each cartridge (minimum), 150.000 $ saving is not bad for a life time, is it? (of course, digital has its own costs too, but i think way cheaper now..)

but since he puts deadlines to his images for editing as you wrote (it was something like "couple of years!" he was mentioning,i read it somewhere..so that his vision for his images would be more objective) he would end up shooting couple of times more exposures probably.. and more mess for him naturally, lol!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:27 AM
TE Expert

Yes, there is a profound sadness, soething akin to nihilism in some of Winogrand's remarks, either that or an typically North America "anti-intellectualism". You have to like the way he talks though, eh? "Light hitting surface, that's all there is." The film proves ne thing though - he does look through the viewfinder, one millisecond before shooting...always, no hip shots!
Walking along the same tracks as Winogrand in some of my Tokyo ventures I must say I feel close to much of what he says - the man is trying to justify a rather poor and somewhat objectional hobby: stealing shots from people before they have time to react, LOL!
As for HCB, I think it ver much depended on the situation - sometimes he shot like a commercial PRO - that famous picture of a destitute old woman in the States draped in an American flag was the "final take" among something lke 40 shots he kept taking of the woman, none of which he was satisfied with.
I have also seen an excellent vodeo of David Allen harvey shooting in Cuba, big fella with the samll Leica on his shoulder, moving swiftly among the chaos of Havana. Now I want to see a film of Webb on the border with Mexico!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
TE Expert

Francis: Very interesting to know there were so many attempts for that flag photo! I always wondered what was the woman thinking and how HCB interacted with her when he took that. It becomes even more exciting now to imagine that interaction!!

[This has been a terrific thread! Rarely do I get so much pleasure out of pure gossip...please continue :-)]
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 PM
TE Expert

@Francis:

maybe you have already seen this in "Magnum in motion ",but a short essay about ;-)

AW:
Old 04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
TE Expert

@Evren: yes as it happens I have - wonderfully done. Webb is a heavyweight genius whose only drawback is that he has lead many of us astray, LOL! Trying to be...like hm!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
TE Expert

@Francis: not my guy though, i find C. Manos much more interesting than Webb for instance; as Luko said somewhere; something is missing in that guy, either too heavy or too distant, dunno..(he is too intellectualized maybe!! lol) i like Manos' approach to photography much more, more direct, more passionate somehow.. like his colours a lot too..

actually i prefer female photographers much more just because of this reason..(like Mary Ellen Mark,Judi Cobb etc)
Old 04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
TE Expert

@Francis:

a footnote: i neverl iked Alex Webb's "Istanbul" for instance..this is not my "Istanbul" in my mind, he shoots Istanbul, just like he did in Mexico or in Haiti, so what is the big deal? i should be able to see some nuances at least..i am surprised that Orhan Pamuk is doing the writing part in that book.. i find his "Istanbul" and Webb's Istanbul totally different for instance, its like a joke.

and he does it for the sake of "style" or "personal vision"?.. oh, well.. this is very subjective approach of course as he claims it always, but i find it very limited too..(ill get his Istanbul book though..lol!)
Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

Funny you should say that, Evren. Just a half hour ago I watched an entire slide show and essay narrated by Manos "American Color" - FANTASTIC work! OUtta this world, very intelligent and compassionate - poetic too. I would heartily agree with you. Webb with feelings, you know?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
TE Expert

I couldn't watch the Meyerowitz tape all the way before - some connection truoble, but I've sen it now, Evren. And what bothers me above all else is..the low quality of the shots, of most of his shots (compositionally). I mean if, I say "if" I can compose more convincingly from the hip than this guy can through his fancy Leica viewfinder, there is something wrong!
Now to me Winogrand is a much much better shooter - there is a true sense of space and drama in his shots, that I can relate too. I feel a kindred thing with him, nothing with Joel there (whose medium format wrok is gorgeous by the way).
Does this make sense? Do you see what I mean?
-E