Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 03-17-2007, 12:57 AM
TE Expert

Default tips for street photography..

i find this video about street photography interesting:

<a href="http://www.joelmeyerowitz.com/photography/interview_06.html">
Joel Meyerowitz : Photographer</a>

Note: even if i find his tips useful, after living in the continental Europe for years, i dont think i would get away jumping in front of people dressed like a Ninja and stick a camera in their face like Joel Meyerowitz does, i would probably end up in a hospital or in a police station acting like that in countries like Holland (or Germany, France, etc), lol! maybe New York is a bit different, after all it is the city where "street photography" started, but i wouldnt dare to try his strategy in other cities! ;))

what do you think? :)

what do you think??
Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: tips for street photography..

I don't know what to think about it... I have never seen someone taking pics in the street this way. he is talking about being invisible, at the same time running at people with the camera at his eye. the girls with this yellow sth were running away from him!
and I wonder if he takes pics the same way when he is not being filmed. I could be like him if the BBC told me: we want to make a film about you taking pictures in the street. I think I would be a different person! there would be a guy with a camera behind me and I'd be talking to everybody and running around like Joel ;)
anyway, I don't know if sth like would be possible here in Cardiff, don't think so. here you need to be sneaky and quick to take pics in the street
I guess I am not enough self-confident. I wish I was, things would be so easy..
Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Evren, thank you for the link.

One thing I found very surprising is that people in NY doesn't pay much attention to Joel who obviously holding a camera and taking photos in the street. And I wonder if he could do the same in Japan? well he said it works in any cities of the world but I still think it wouldn't work in Japan. Or maybe it would work just only because he looks different from Japanese and most people here welcome such people, and they don't welcome the locals taking photos of them.

Desapearing in the crowd isn't easy, I always pull attentions to me and my camera. Hmm there must be something wrong with my appearence...hehe

Anyways, as the weather is gettin warmer and I think I will start shooting in the street again soon, and the link gave me this desperate feelin that I want to go out for taking street shots. So thanks..!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 AM
TE Senior Member

Not sure if it works or not once I'm still far to shy for street photograpy, but I quite enjoyed the video and may try one day his thechnique. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Even though I haven't found one niche I want to completely dedicate myself to, I love street photography most, I think. I like the photos of TE members who are good at it, and love the masters like HCB. When I get something remotely resembling a street shot, it's usually one of my favs I bring back from a trip.

It's funny, but it was just today when I noticed that almost all of my last couple of dozen posted photos were really about people. Not always candid as I would like, because I too think I'm too shy to do anything close to what he does. I've carried a camera around New York, and I couldn't bring myself to point it at people except from a distance.

Unfortunately, and I hate to say it, street photography I think is about the hardest form there is to do well. This bugs me because I'm only so-so as a photographer right now, even when things hold still for me. So wouldn't you know that the hardest form, the one that's dynamic and comes closest to storytelling is the one I really dream of doing well?

I see street shots here on TE that are clear, have a lot of technical merit, but they don't move me. I somehow miss the play between the subjects in the shot, or one subject and their surroundings. Or maybe I don't, because then I see a shot from Galeota, for instance, that is so intuned to what is happening between the place and the person that I'm just floored. I don't even post a comment, as much as I'm ashamed to say it, because what could I say that isn't too ordinary? So I *think* I know it when I see it. Sometimes I am lucky enough to know that I'm seeing it live right in front of me and I actually have a camera. But then I don't take the shot before the moment is gone. tsk, tsk on me!

But I think it's also one of the
Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
TE Expert

Total nonsense, Evren, can't see why Meyerowitz who is really now much more of a middle format lnadscapist should have indulged in this farce (I gues this is wat he used to do decades ago...? Man lke that THESE DAYS, has a death wish, don't you think. You're like saying to people: "Someone KILL me, PLEASE!"
Totally weird.
I feel mch closer to Winogrand who shot "en passant" but very close so that by the time he clicked everyone would have moved on...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
TE Expert

and this one is from Winogrand, a historical

<a href="http://2point8.whileseated.org/?p=152">video:
</a>
Old 04-05-2007, 02:42 PM
TE Expert

That is MUCH better, Evren. Thank you for this - I oved every second of it. GArry comes off as very intelligent there, and kind of cynical too (well...unpretentious). He is kind of a hero of mine don't mind telling you. A strange hero I guess... I mean, HCB is the Patron Saint, the genius behind all street stuff, and I like Robert Frank too (more poetic that Winogrand...)
Thank you my friend!
Francis
Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
TE Expert

yes, an intellegent, but a raw cookie i would say..i think he would be very happy in this digital era right now..would be way cheaper for him.. Robert Frank on the other hand, is much more poetical as you say, and i definitely agree.. you cant find his famous book "Americans" anywhere anymore.just like Koudelka's "Gypsies" one.. ther are collecter's items now i guess. best.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
TE Expert

I am somewhat late in the conversation, most of the useful things have aleady been said. I enjoyed both the movies, thank to Evren for that. Thanks also for the insightful comments.

I personally don't think that Meyerowitz's technique is that absurd. In fact I have seen people do that kind of things on the streets of large cities. Perhaps some of them are famous photographers...I don;t know. I think his point that if you are confident enough you will be 'invisible' is to be taken seriously. He projects a persona of cold confidence and efficiency, less charm, total professionalism, with an occasional smile to the passersby. Winograd on the other hand exudes charm and disarms his subjects. He is also unbelievably fast.

I happened to talk to an Indian photographer, Subrata Kar (not Mitra, the cinematographer), who followed HCB around during one of his trips to India in the 60s. What I remember him say about HCBs technique was quite different from those here. Apparently HCB would hardly take a photo...mostly he would walk around whole day, covering an enormous distance, look around a place from different angles, incessantly walking around objects, structures and people, always watching, the camera not even conspicuous, then suddenly he would take a shot. Of course that is one man's description of what he thought he saw HCB do, and that was a long time ago.
Animesh