Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > TE Projects

Notices

Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default TE book death?

Hi to all participants!

It is very pity that this interesting project is dead... Has anybody an idea how to galvanize it? Many of us have spent a lot of time...

Best regards,

Nikolay
Old 07-06-2006, 12:36 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: TE book death?

Hi Nikolay
We still have a lot of very interesting large size photos (that is at my server) and of course we could do something here, i.e. with PDF files or whatever - but some lay out still has to be done.

I am ready for futher information should good ideas pop up..

Jack
Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 AM
TE Newbie

Hello,

I have sent numerous e-mails to kivel and others, regarding the publishing, printing and shipment of the TE book. I had received several price quotes regarding the book. The best option was letting Amazon.com (The largest book supplier in the world), handle the entire project. Amazon would be the publisher, printer and the shipper. Shipping costs were extermely reasonable ($5-$20 US dollars) as compared to the last quote that someone else provided ($80-100). This seems to be a win-win situation. I submitted this proposal last month and I have not received a response.

Several questions must be answered before the project procedes:
1. Is there a contract with a publishing company, printer or shipper regarding this book?
2. If there was, what is the printing price per book and is there a minimum number of books that must be ordered?
3. Is the book ready to be printed in the proper format or does it require additional formating from the publisher and/or printer?
4. If the book is ready to be printed, what format is it in?
5. How many pages for the book?
6. Hard cover or soft cover?
7. What is the size of the book?
8. What stock size for the pages?

This project should not die after all the work which has been put into the book. I have been offering to help with this project since the very inception, but until recently, I was not asked. Hopefully, it is not too late.

David Letts (Retagger)
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
TE Expert

Hi David
Presently we only have some large sized photos and the orginal idea for a layout
(example here: http://www.johanson.info/te/).

This means that format, cover etc all still are an open opportunity.

We also had some problems with regards to many people who wanted to upload large size photos as their Questionnaries either was not registered, or they wanted to change the content.

As of today app. 45 photographers have made the large size photo upload (that is app. 45x5= 200 photos)

If you from this basis want to work on the project I can see no problem, but it should be checked out with kikvel.

Jack
Old 07-08-2006, 03:10 AM
TE Newbie

Hello Jack,

I have exchanged e-mails with Kivel on numerous dates and he thought it was a good idea. Based on his advice, I also forward the e-mails to other members of this project for their input, but I have not heard anything in several weeks. I know it is extemerly hard to complete a project of this magnitude via e-mails through the internet, but I don't want to give up on this project just yet. Too much work has been put into this project by Ceaser and others and it would be a shame to let the project die.

I will be on vacation for the next week and will not have any free time. When I get back, I can help in any way to complete this project.

David...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
TE Expert

Hello Jack,
I have sent (twice, at your request) my questionnaire without any demands for changes, and never got the chance to receive a password to upload my pictures.
If this project is still going on, would it be possible to upload my pictures?
Take care,
Sophie
Old 07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
TE Expert

Hi Sophie
The reason you have not recieved paasword for access to my upload server for large sized photos is that your Questionnarie is not included in the Master file I have recieved.

I was promised to have a Masterfile including all the questionnaires, but later I learned that many questionnaires was not included. Another team member was to update the master file - but this was not done.

My offer for the team (also if 'life' is coming back to the project) is to supply all ASP/ISP services wanted by the project group. I still have the large sized photos that are uploaded at a safe place at one of my servers - but for me, making a book only based on a random selection of photog versus all those that expected to participate in the book - is not a deasant way to do it.

That is also way I have not put togheter a final PDF version of the book as it in no means would be a complete presentation - and of course also because this would take a lot of time and finally also because this was never a promise from my side to do.

Jack
Old 12-10-2007, 12:28 AM
TE Expert

I'm curious Jack, how the cover that was voted on at the time this project was actively being pursued has suddenly become "an open opportunity." As you recall, one of my designs was selected by members who voted on the subject a couple of years ago. Perhaps "someone" has decided to produce a different cover, but I've received no information to that effect, certainly not from Cesar who was at the time leading this venture.

I still have nearly three gigabytes of files on the TE book cover so I'm both able and willing to go forward with the accepted design if this project goes forward. I would need more specificity regarding the dimensions of the proposed book so the design can be put in the proper format. The specific photographs used in that design would likely need to be refreshed, as well, since a number of photographers whose work was used originally are no longer active on TE and their photos have been removed from the site. I doubt, however, that I'd have trouble finding replacements and in securing permission for their use. I have no wish to tackle that time consuming task, however, unless this becomes a real project rather than a lovely dream.

I'll follow this conversation with interest, but I'd certainly wish to know more if my design is no longer the accepted cover. Thanks Jack.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
TE Expert

Hi Curtis

Pls. enlighten me of this 'open opportunity'.

See also email sent you privately.

Jack