Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 09-22-2004, 05:13 AM
TE Newbie

Default Photo against the light

Hello,

There is any special setting to use when taking pictures against the light?
My pictures usualy lose the color of the sky when the sun is in the back of the subject.
I have a Canon Powershot A75,

Thanks,
Cezar
Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Photo against the light

Cezar, an UV filter or a PL filter is often a lot of help, but You can still have problems if the range of contrast from subject to background is wide. It seems that a slight change of angle has an effect as well, Sometimes I can go a little higher or lower and watch the flare in the VF fade.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:16 PM

In this situation, if you're trying to capture a near object, the best solution is to select the "Flash On" option, control the exposure in a bright area (not the brightest), reframe and take the photo. This way you'll get the blue sky, and the object (or person) illuminated by the flash.

If the main object of the composition is far away for the flash, than try to control the exposure in an intermidiate area in order to get a pale blue sky, and a moderate dark subject. After it in the pc you may try to balance these areas.

A last option is to take two photos. One of the the subject metering the light in it, and a second photo with exactly the same composition but previously metering the light in the sky. After you cam allways blend the two images.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:07 PM
TE Newbie

Thank you both for the input.
Jose, what do you mean by "try to control the exposure in an intermediate area"?

Thank you
Old 09-25-2004, 08:35 PM

I mean for you to point the camera into an area that it's not very bright or dark, like a soft shade or a darker area of the sky. This way the camera will meter the light in a way that the bright areas don't get burned and the shade areas still keep enough details to be retrieved in the graphical program.

Just move the camera so you can see in the LCD screen the exposure that pleases you most, press the button to half, reframe the photo and shoot.

Be also aware where the camera will focus because you may risk that it focus on an area that will make your subject appear out of focus...
Old 09-25-2004, 08:35 PM

I mean for you to point the camera into an area that it's not very bright or dark, like a soft shade or a darker area of the sky. This way the camera will meter the light in a way that the bright areas don't get burned and the shade areas still keep enough details to be retrieved in the graphical program.

Just move the camera so you can see in the LCD screen the exposure that pleases you most, press the button to half, reframe the photo and shoot.

Be also aware where the camera will focus because you may risk that it focus on an area that will make your subject appear out of focus...
Old 09-25-2004, 08:38 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks Jose,
I wasn't sure. I'm still getting used with reframing stuff. Way different than the basic film camera I used before ;)
Old 09-25-2004, 09:08 PM

Well, I think reframing is basically the same thing. You just press the button to half in the area you want to meter the light, keep it pressed while you move the camera to get the desired composition and... press the button to the end! :-)