Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 AM
TE Expert

Default Steele-Perkins on Tokyo ... Francis?

http://blog.magnumphotos.com/2007/02/what_exactly_do_you_want_to_say.html

have a look, he's invading your turf..
Old 02-18-2007, 04:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Steele-Perkins on Tokyo ... Francis?

Yes Rafal.

I had chat with Francis on same topic. In fact Latest work of Francis & even past work with canon is really like MAGNUM. It is portfolio of Japan.
His work with Canon was supurb but use of boekh in some part was only concerned area for me.

But his latest work is even more impressive.

-Regards,
Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 PM
TE Expert

I've written to him in London, exchanged emails, I told him "GET OFF MY TURF!" No, seriously there are some fabulous shots in his portfolio, especially one of a Toyta executive lookinh away,bored while a motion-blurred Office Lady gently lays down a cup of tea. He shot that for Fortune magazine. great eye, very subtle guy. One could learn a lot from him.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
TE Expert

Seoul is my turf:)
Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
TE Senior Member

Indeed it is! Both Seoul and Tokyo have their official photographers. Even Magnum will have a tough job do do it better than you guys. And this is an honest remark.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 AM
TE Expert

:) I took a look at his book. I didnt see that Toyota exec shot though. Id like to see it. Back to his book, Im not 100% sold on all the shots. There are definately some strong ones but also a few weak ones. He does have a name with a cache though, but I wouldnt be too far pff the mark if I said that you could put together a 70 image book that would be overall stronger than his. Sure you have an advantage of living there, but that still doesnt change the fact.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 AM
TE Expert

Yeah, it's strange - it WAS on his own website under "Editorial", there was a brilliants eries on Toyota for FORTUNE magazine and now it'S gone. I wrote to him about that particulat picture which was so revealing and subtle. I really admire his touch, I'd say his specialty is not "Aperture priority" but "Shutter priority" - he plays with "speeds" a lot, going for motion blur rather than bokeh.
he is 10 times the photographer I am and very experienced - war, documentary, commercial, PJ work, the lot.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
TE Expert

All Im saying is that because of your access to Tokyo - you live there and feel it - I think you could put together a cllection of shots close to his. Now about his book, overall its a good one, though some shots I have trouble understanding why he chose.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Well, that's really nice, Francis, you exchange email with Steele-Perkins, but i did agree with Rafal that some of his stuff are weak. In fact, I ever met Steele-Perkins in Beijing Last year. It was hard to believer that i would met a Magunum photographer, but it did and not so special if you met him. Let me tell you how he comment one's photos. first you should choose a few photos from your portpolio which you feel best and worst. and then he would tell you what he felt.

Yes, I believe that Franci live advantage in tokyo and no problem to make a book better than his. but not sure if it would be so popular as his. Don't forget he is good not because the book of tokyo but the Afghanistan, and then is because he is Magmun photographer, so the book of Tokyo is good as well.

To tell the truth, I like the title "Tokyo like to say hello", which are so tenderness that like Francis say hello to me(:
Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 AM
TE Expert

Ni Hau, Mingang, "Tokyo lke to say Ni Hau", ;o)))
The best Tokyo pictures ever were by Pikhassov, also in Magnum (they are in a class of their own).
Steele-Perkins is frakly a much more accomplished photographer than I will ever be - several of his JP pictures are of the greatest subtlety - I really dig the way he uses fillflash in crowds! SOme of them I admit are not that great and do not scea, "Magnum" but hat is true of Alex Webb and even the very talented David Allen Harvey (or maybe that's the fault of DAH's photo editors at Nat Geo ;o)) Ihave learned that any one of us at Tekearth, on a veygood day, when all the stars are aligned, can produce a photo that is of Magnum quality, but what those guys have that we don't is CONSISTENCY and PURPOSE, also DEDICATION. I'm just a Sunday Painter, a photographic gigolo