Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 05:30 AM
TE Junior Member

Default 13 photographs that changed the world

You can get to the link from <A HREF="http://www.neatorama.com/2007/01/02/13-photographs-that-changed-the-world/">here</A>. Definitely worth a read - especially for the insightful background. Being a landscape bigot the Ansel Adams is of course one of my favorites - not only for the image itself but the background information.

Ron.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: 13 photographs that changed the world

hmmmm Im going to say I woul not place the adams shot or theLoch Ness shot on the list. They fail to deliver anything on a non-technical plane. But thats just me. I will say though Im not a fan of old Ansel
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
TE Expert

and the nessie shot delivers on no level
Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Some interesting choices. Some, like the Capa, Lange,Bourke-White, Eddie Adams and Eisenstaedt shots were very easy to predict.

Not surprising that Ansel Adams was represented too, although I would have thought it would be Moon Over Half Dome would be the choice. Actually, I think they were putting Adams in there because of the body of his work and its influence, not any one particular shot. An interesting thing about the commentary on Adams was Adams eschewed manipulations, claiming they were simply derivative of other art forms. This stuck out to me because Adams was famous for his manipulations in the darkroom. Sure, he didn't smear Vasoline on his lenses, but he did at least as much in the darkroom in perfecting his prints.

I was a little surprised of the inclusion of The Corpse of Che Guevara, as I was tinking the very famous Alberto Korda shot would be chosen.

I also thought the Nick Ut photo of Kim Phuoc would be on there, but I guess the Eddie Adams shot kind of pushed it out as being the most iconic shot from the Viet Nam War.

I have no idea why they chose the Loch Ness Monster photo.

I was also expecting to see the portrait of Igor Stravinsky by Arnold Newman, as well as something from Yousuf Karsh, either Einstein or Winston Churchill. Also missing, IMO, was Salgado, probably the one at the Serra Pelada gold mine in Brazil, showing all the people going up the bamboo ladders.

I was expecting Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl to be on there as well; it seems to make so many lists. I thought Winogrand's guy doing a flip would be on there too, and something from Bresson. I wasn't expecting anything, but was also hoping to see something from WeeGee, who is one of my very favorites.

The shot of Neil Armstrong on the moon makes a lot of these lists too.

Anyways, some good shots and there will always be second guessing. I would think that the hardest part for the editors would be to whittle things down to just 13 photos. As you can tell, I couldn't do it.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:44 AM
TE Junior Member

I'd have to agree about the Ansel Adams comment Darren. I think you have to view it in light of his influence on the formation and growth of the National Park system and his Sierra Club work.

I was also disappointed not to see any sports photography on the list. Critical moments have often been captured as images that no words could ever fully cover (Ali's knockout of Foreman with stunned onlookers in the background amongst others).

Anyway, it's not so much that the list is authoritative, it attracted my attention because of the background information.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:47 AM
TE Senior Member

Interesting you mention sports, I was thinking that they were obviously missing too. Then again, I thought that maybe sports weren't quite enough to "chane the world". Actually the first sports image I would put in would also be a shot of Ali, but it would be the one with him standing over Sonny Liston, yelling for Listong to "Get up sucka!". Probably too North American centric, but I would also put Dwight Clark's "The Catch" against the Dallas Cowboys(I think) up as well.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM
TE Expert

sorry Darren, those pictures didn't reach the rest of the world;-)

If I were to include anything sport it would probably have to be politically or socially related,
Jesse Owens and Berlin Olympics
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/triumph/tr-olympics.htm
Ali may have been a good choice, but personally I can't point to the one photo that would stand out.
Peter
Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 AM
TE Senior Member

Most certainly the Dwight Clark image wouldn't reach the rest of the world; even in Canada its penetration is somewhat blunted by the CFS and the fact that football just isn't as important to us Canucks as it is to our neighbours to the south. I still hold on the Ali shot, although I think you are not debating this one. Ali most certainly was, and probably still is the athlete who was best known throughout the world; not sure there will ever be another who has his impact. Just for this reason, I think a shot of him would fit.

Two more I was thinking about, both from the Mexico City Olympics. The shot, head on, of Bob Beamon breaking the long jump record. I haven't seen that shot in years, yet I can still imagine it clearly. The other would be at the medal ceremony, with Tommy Smith and Juan Carlos, heads down and black gloves raised into the air. That was a pretty political moment.

One more Olympic moment; the shot of the hooded terrorist taken at the Munich Olympics. Actually, thinking about things, that one might be the biggest oversight I can think of so far.

Again, there is no way I would be able to limit myself to 13 shots.