Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Good KevRyan 2007-02-14 16:53

I am maybe surprising myself a little here - this is the kind of image I might see endless relationships and areas of interest in but I only see it superficially at the moment - I see a shot of something that is wonderfully complex and challenging to the eye but I don't see the eye of the artist as much as I would like - have you - have I - created a level of expectation about your work that demands more from you than what I see here? I disagree with Izzet....I find that pretty empowering as a photographer in my own right.....there is level of incoherence in this image which somehow doesn't satisfy me that you have made as much from such a wonderful subject as you could have done.....I like that you have seen the possibility but it is missing something. So easy to go with the flow of praise and then reading your note even easier - "market confusion and rhythm" - for me perhaps more of the former and less of the latter......perhaps more of a compositional focus on the guy with the different hat - a different take on the shape and positioning of the OOF space top and right...the person to the right with the oar across the face...i don't know.......I'm against the grain on this one.......

Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 AM
TE Expert

Default To KevRyan: Excuse #63

Excuse #1 : taken 12 years ago, I've hopefully evolved since.
Excuse #8 : At a time I almost systematically had an image in my mind. Do you know HCB's "Sou Tcheou canal Shanghai"?
Excuse #21 : This wasn't taken with a Leica.
Excuse #47 : This was my first metting back with Asia as a grown up man, after a 15 years cut.
Excuse #55 : Anyway the note is lame.
Excuse #63 : I sometimes take photos people don't like.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To KevRyan: Excuse #63

hahaha!! No excuses!! No prisoners!! No quarter!!

I was powerfully drawn by the thumbnail.........please don't add Excuse #72 - the image was too big!

Sou Tcheou canal Shanghai - I had seen it once but not sufficiently enough to recognise it without doing a search.....that one is busy!!

I'm still struggling with what it is that doesn't/didn't work for me......there is so much i like here - perhaps I'm struggling a little bit with the 'pre-set' that I have around the primary colours....you know like when there are two strong but unrelated focal points on different thirds - the eye can oscillate uncomfortably between them - the pull of those hats is very strong...I'm still looking for one more to the right to add to a sense of rhythm (and it is there in the background)......I didn't consciously relate to the colours at first - i really do think that the eye works to unite the primary colours - something i would usually notice straight away but I didn't consciously register them -I'm sure my eye was doing it at some level...and I couldn't get into the image somehow......does this make sense to you?.......I really think I was having trouble getting things ordered.....I'm getting obsessed with this image .......I'm certainly appeciating it differently the more I look at it now.......

Excuse #57 It's just the confusion in Kev's head again.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 AM
TE Expert

You probably think I'm mad ...but here is another theory.......I'm not talking about words here, thoughts etc but visually what struck me......

In a complex picture one can often look for a focal point to ground you in the image- Ok i remember now seeing two things which struck me when i first opened this image on a larger scale.....the run of the hats across the frame for sure but what really drew my attention and then drew my attention back was the person in yellow .....that paddle across the face was quite distracting against the pull of that yellow ....the eye wants to travel with the hats (rhythm across the image) but the primary colours operate here too connecting (my) eye back through the red and blue to that yellow and the one figure i really want to see...who is obscured......

There are other things...but that was a causal root of my reaction tracing it back........

bw Kev
Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 AM
TE Expert

stop me.....

Ok the guy in the different hat on the same line with the pull of that red top......there's part of my oscillating/competing thirds argument...he's on the same line as our friend in yellow.....those three strong colours pull the eye left leaving unfimished business on the right......

anyway......

back in the box until they let me out again.....
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
TE Expert

Kev, Luko:
I have taken an unusual step for me and done a workshop on a Luko shot. Its purpose is to settle this question of unease that Kev feels vis-a-vis this lder sht.
It struck me with smething akin t vuiolence that a dirty, contrasty B/W cnversin might yield some answers...
I could be wrong, the likelihood is qute strong in fact but... it was wrth a try. Hope you dn't mind.
Francis