Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Default back from the seminar

ok, I just got back from the seminar, two days of living photgraphy. that was a very good lesson, I listened to presentations from all the members of the agency, listened to some very interesting discussions with editors of various important magazines. I guess a lot of the material will be available on the agencys website soon - there were some people recording the whole event, so you might see it later.

and somehow I won the <a href="http://www.myspace.com/viiphoto">MYSPACE portfolio contest<a/>, hooray! and I found out about it the night before the portfolio review day, by pure chance, after coming back from the slideshow party. I almost missed it by not checking my emails! so it was well after midnight and at 9:30am the reviews were going to start... and I didn't prepare any prints, luckily I had my laptop with me with resized photos I put to my internet galleries. I got up early and after brekfast stared putting the portfolio together. I selected the 20 photos from the portfolio contest and extended it by additional 10 images. these were samples of 4 stories. then I made another selection of 12 pictures - these were single images, just to show some nice images. and then just in case I prepared a quick draft of the latest story that I was working on in India.
the porfolio review was in Frontline club. there were around 20 people who paid for the review and two winners of the contest, I din't see the other winner. Sarah told me that my portfolio was best, nice! I was scheduled at 11am, I had some time to polish the stuff. I was assigned to Joachim Ladefoged - I was really happy about that, he is the youngest photographer in the agency (or maybe Laureen is..) and I really thought he is the right person to see my work, that he could understand me, all I wanted is to get some directions about the future. and his presentation was one of the best ones - his work is very strong and varies a lot, he shots all kind of different things, amazing stuff, and his early work on Albanians<a/> brought him to the agency, a really jaw dropping stuff. <a href="http://www.viiphoto.com/feature.html">check more of his work clicking on his name in the menu on the left.
so at 11am I went upstairs, introduced myself, he congratulated me winning the contest, I told him that I had a very little time to put the portfolio together so the structure might be a bit loose sometimes. then I started showing him my photos and talking about them.
we talked for about 30 minutes, the response was very positive, I was really surprised. after seeing the stories and singles he asked me if I have more images to show, so I showed him the latest work from India. he liked it as well. at the end he said I should work as a photographer. BANG! I said I was trying without success, he asked what about newspapers? I said I send my portfolio and cv to at least 20... he didn't understand why. i don't understand either ;)
He said I have a very good composition skills, he was very surprised that I don't crop images - so you are a traditionalist, like me 15yrs ago he said. in fact I didn't hear much criticism, he told me what images he liskes or not and why not, gave me some suggestions about structuring stories. and about the future, he told me to work on stories in Cardiff, make them well, finishe my studies and then to show my work to agencies and magazines and get a job as a photographer, very easy! then at the end he said sth like: "I will see you around there". would be nice.
I was really scared before going to the review, after seeing images of the guys from VII I tought my photos were crap and all other people have better photos. but at the end it turned really well, you should have seen the smile on my face for the rest of the day.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: back from the seminar

that's really good maciej
congratulations :)
work work work.. not getting a job at newspaper doesn't mean that you're not successful... till you don't don't get employed by a newspaper or a magazine or till you don't get into an agency, keep working on a personal project. i feel that it will really pay off after some time..
take care and best of luck :)
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
TE Expert

congratulations Maciekda, hope you'll get a job somewhere in a newspaper or agency soon.. cheers! :)
Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
TE Senior Member

time to get start selling yourself, not with just a CD portfolio and a Pbase account. For magazines, you should think about all the magazine that you want to do an assignment for and then make some good promotional material, perhaps a small printed book of your portfolio or some nice postcards with a killer image on it and your contact info and start sending them out. Being a member of an agency doesn't mean work, a photographer that just waits for their agency to find them work is going to be pretty damn hungry... and there are a lot of photographers on all those agencies and there isn't that much work to go around.

congrats on winning that contest and getting a portfolio review, that's awesome.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Maciej, congratulations on your magnificent success. I'm sure those of us who followed the development of your portfolio are not so surprised. You have talent and, please forgive the term but it is important, BALLS. How many of us could have taken some of those Cardiff images? I'm certainly not brave enough. And, in the end, that's what gives you the chance of success as a professional. That and persistence. I agree totally with El Don - you need to get your images on the desk of anyone who might be interested in them. A bit like the first record deal in the music world. But once you've made that breakthrough, it's up to you. I wish you every success. Best wishes Stephen
Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
TE Newbie

yes, you should see it ;-)

congrats! i was witness of that story (everything is true - haha!)

i now you will do that!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:55 AM
TE Expert

Warmest, heartfelt congratulations Maciej. This is fantastic news man and richly deserved. I have been ging on and on about yur Cradiff pics for two years now so you can imagine how thrilled I am...;o) It is mindboggling to me that you are not a full-time shoter yet, you are so obviously made for the work. I guarantee you that this "win" will be a huge leg up the ladder.
Delighted for you my friend!
Best,
Francis
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: my portfolio for the VII contest

Even ambitious about your photography, Maciej, you are a modest man, it's a great quality for a photographer, as he or she should always retreat behind the subject, as you so often do. Maybe the reason you, and evryone who sees your work are surprised you have not cracked up more into the profession is simply lack of confidence on your part.

Well....Maybe you should see a shrink, not a committee of top photographers to crack that nut (lack of confidence), ahahah....

As I wrote before, I believe you are way beyond satisfecits time (billions views on Pbase, NGO magazine covers, well-wishing backslapping from all of us). Your greatest asset is that, IMO, compared to anyone I have gotten to know here, you do approach photography as work, not just passion, and on a daily basis, contrarily to some.

And after all, you are doing evrything right by 99 or 98%. maybe do not worry about the 1% left, the one that would say on your front balck on white "professional photographer". There may be another 1% as well. That would be that your work being so ubiquitous on the net, and so free, you are giving yourself a bit too easily, warts and all, and I do not see any other photographers (with your talent, especially journalistic), doing that, lest they intend to ever be eternal beginners or also-rans.

Congratulations for more recognition of your photography. You are an inspiration to many of us.

Herve
Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: my portfolio for the VII contest

Congratulations Macieij you more thatn deserve it. You have been on e of my favourite photographers here for a long time and your work in Cardiff has a special place for me as its the city i grew up in. Hope that this may be the break you need to try and make your passion your profession. Hope to meet up with you in Cardiff sometime in September as i'll be back in the UK. You are a real inspiration to all the TE members.

Cheers
Peter