Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: my portfolio for the VII contest

"As for the dump, it may be overdone, perhaps even somewhat shallow in the involvement (yet aren't many successful photos?), but at least it is a theme - that's all I meant, and Maciek has some pretty good ones in the dump genre. Could be any other theme. You can't present a portfolio of 'my travels abroad' - not unless you're interesting and famous enough to string them together with your own life. Otherwise you give that very same impression of comfy tourism, cushy hotels and AC cars..."
I don't think the trade off is either the PP dump OR comfy AC tourism (which is in fact... done in the same time). Maciek has plenty of fine themes he could develop on 4 or 5 pics... let's take for instance "last prep before the contest" "at the office" and "make up" and that's the start of a story, it lacks a grand scene, and a conclusion print but I think this is nicely set up.

The problem with the PP dump is that, move away the empathy and the initial "OMG!" factor, the photos look the same for most, some of them make great singles but they're redundant... looking into his portfolio I wonder how come he didn't select "cigarette after work" which is absolutely essential as a break in the story.

The other thing is that, adressing a photojournalist agency, if there should be ONE photo selected, i think that "friday prayers at new mosque" comes on top of the list.. this is the big painting which every film begins with. He has the stuff for a Pakistan serie, I believe.

Like Narayan reminded, the people at VII are no pbase or trekearth photographers, I don't think they give much credit to the way a finger comes in at two thirds of the pic... I believe they would like to "invest" into someone with an eye and a brain and who'll come back with images that PAY. If they see someone who takes great fun in shooting but there's no way to sell the images, try to guess what'll be their reaction... it's not Villa Medicis young photo artist prize there...

If we agree (what I like the most here is that Maciek IS NOT ALLOWED to say a word. YOU SIT DOWN AND KEEP QUITE MACIEK! ok?) on the fact that he has to propose limited series on a 4 or 5 photo set.
This will be 4 or 5 series on a 20 shots portfolio.
I guess he can select these themes with the number of images between brackets :
- Cardiff (5)
- Transvestite beauty contest in Chennai (4)
- Pakistan (4)
- Vuyiroli (4)
- PP Dump (5) I've now seen the whole, there is easily the material for a 5 to 10 images story, but I wonder i don't think the ones you selected can make a story altogether, therer are many interesting ones when combined.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:14 AM

thanks Luko! I will read all this several times carefully, there is some time left, so there is no rush, I want to make sure the selection is optimal. i guess I will be keeping this thread alive for some time ;)
and I appreciate all your help, other others' as well, thanks guys. It is a very interesting thread now and it may help other people in preparing their portfolios as well - it is not an easy thing at all!

and the prize of the contest is not joining the agency, but a portfolio review by James Nachtwey or one of his friends. would be cool
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 AM
TE Expert

"and the prize of the contest is not joining the agency, but a portfolio review by James Nachtwey or one of his friends. would be cool"

Just competing for the pleasure to have your portfolio reviewed by Nachtwey... Who's kidding who? ;D ...
Old 02-02-2007, 05:36 AM
TE Expert

Maciek, your photos from Asia are really good. The thing is, this is a genre thats been done to death. So even if your photos are great, they will have to be absolutely brilliant to rise above the "Ive seen this before" reaction.

If I were you, I wouldnt submit any of them. Go with something different, unusual. And thats your cardiff stuff. 20 is a maximum. Put together anywhere from 10 to 20 shots from cardiff and submit that. Even if it isnt as visually impactful as your Dump stuff, I think it is better. Its original, different and you have enough material to put something together.

Which images? You have so many I wont even try. But Luko, Narayan and others have proposed stuff. I say drop all of their proposals into a gallery along with stuff you chose and then see how you can put it all together to fit under the 20 image requirement.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Right, so you might not be changing the name from VII to VIII (even though there re 10 members), but if you can wow someone who knows just about everyone in the industry, you are going to advance yourself a lot.

Hmmm... if I had my pick of which VII member would looka t my work (or just to sit down in front of), I would pick Eugene Richards. This can be like those fantasy football things, but instead, fantasy portfolio review!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM

I have made a final cut on my portfolio for that contest, you can see it there: http://www.pbase.com/maciekda/portfolio_vii.
what are my chances? ;)
I will submit it on Friday. any suggestions are more than welcome. I still can add or remove sth.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 AM
TE Newbie

I would remove the guy taking a piss. It does not offend me at all....I think it's funny.....but you never know when you might offend someone who takes themselves too seriously. It's a politically correct world out there.....and you can always bring it along and show it to someone once you sum up ther mood.

Besides, you have better phots of Wales anyway IMHO.

Good Luck.
Aloha, JB
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 PM
TE Senior Member

I would consider taking out the "Piss and Curry" shot... nothing to do with politically correctness... it's just not as strong as your other photos... and your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest photo.

I would also consider not labeling the photos with titles... it might be how it is done on TE, but not in the real world. And really think about the sequence of the photos. you have 2 photos in a row of kissing. Even though that picture package is only 4 images, you should try and give them some space.

This next comment goes for all 5 of your packages. The photos are all pretty diverse, although there is some content repetition. However, what is the same in all of the packages is the view and distance. All the photos, perhaps with the exception of one, aere medium photos... no real close ups and no photos that give the viewer a sense of place, no establishing shots that let the viewer know what the place looks like. Take the Social club for instance, I have no idea what the place looks like, outside or inside. This is something to keep in mind when you are doing projects.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM

thanks Narayan and John,
I have removed the piss photo and one of the kissing ones.
I have deleted titles as well - looks much better.
I know what you mean with the distance, but those establishing shots are usually not the strongest ones in the series, and if you select only 4 photos then they are simply out...
not sure if Vuyiroli is diverse enough.. and maybe I should include this one in St Mary street series...

thanks again guys, this all duscussion is very helpful and... educational!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 AM
TE Newbie

No don't include that one. I like "Relaxing After The Match" myself.

Aloha, JB