Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM

Default my portfolio for the VII contest

I have tried to make a portfolio for the contest organized by VII agency at MySpace for their semminar participants. they ask for a 20 picture portfolio. I couldn't make such tight selection, so I created 2 portfolios - one with pictures taken here in Wales, and the other one with pictures taken during my travels abroad - the VII contest portfolio
What do you think about my selection? what pictures should I add or remove? should I submit 1 portfolio only like they ask, or try my luck with 2?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: my portfolio for the VII contest

I would go for the abroad portfolio. I think it suits VII photography's style much better than the one from Wales.

Best regards

Pawel
Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
TE Senior Member

I do like both portfolios but "Home" has probably some weaker choices while "Abroad" is far more consistent. I wouldn't change a single photo on the second selection. In the first I would consider as second choices: "Romance on St Mary street", probably "Sunday, 1 am" and "let's go there". Now I browsed your UK gallery and found no real replacers... If I really had to make it my vote would be "7 nights a week", "Honey, a new umbrella for you..." and "GORLILLA". Hope it helps... The best of luck, l.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 PM

but they will probaby see lots of Asian and African pictures, with scenes of war, crisis and human misery. that's why I thought that showing them someting completely different might draw their attention.
anyway, i'd like to show two different sides of me somehow, but submitting 40 pics instead of 20 is against the rules
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
TE Senior Member

You may have a point here. Your Cardiff selection is very good, very consistent in the terms you presented it and - you already know it - quite ingenious work. It's fresh, creative and new. Be confident with your choices but try to eliminate any hint of second choices you might have. If you some photo is giving you doubts just quickly replaced for another one. I know that's a difficult job to do. I hope people here can help you. One advice though, don't break the rules of the contest and only submit 20 photos if that's what they're asking. It would be a pity to be banned because of this...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
TE Junior Member

You're right Maciej,

Maybe you could do it like this - give them 10 photos from abroad and 10 from Wales. This way you can present them with both aspects of your work. Don't post 40 photos - what if they will reject your portfolio because of this? It would be a pity to be banned just because such a trivial matter.

Best regards

Pawel
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
TE Expert

but they will probaby see lots of Asian and African pictures, with scenes of war, crisis and human misery. that's why I thought that showing them someting completely different might draw their attention.
anyway, i'd like to show two different sides of me somehow, but submitting 40 pics instead of 20 is against the rules

====
I would agree, Asian and African pics can bee seen everywhere all the time, your Cardiff photos are more original and a I would say more fitting the agency like this.
Or go 10 and 10.
Peter
Old 01-31-2007, 11:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello, Maciej--
i'm generally in agreement with what has already been said--probably keep it at one 20 picture portfolio, and mix the two portfolios that you've already picked out. i also thought that your abroad portfolio was a little bit more consistently of high quality, and think that maybe a 12 abroad/8 home split would work well.
Just my .02.
Thanks!
sam
Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Maciej,

Sadly, I only had time for the briefest review of the portfolios but, in reality, the judges may spend a similar amont of time on their first run through.

Both portfolios contain 10 stronger and 10 weaker images. For impact, I'd propose the first 10 from Abroad and the first 10 from Home (but substituting 'girls on phones' for 'and you listen' and 'mate the police is coming' for 'in the student union'). The problem is whether the two sets make one consistent portfolio. Perhaps the approaches are too different to allow a successful combination.

If you decide to stick with one rather than mix and match, I'd go for Home. Most of the images in Abroad are technically superior but Home takes a more original viewpoint.

I have to say I'd be delighted to be the photographer of either set. Good luck whatever your final choice.

Best wishes

Stephen
Old 02-01-2007, 04:11 AM
TE Expert

Maciej, of the Asian selection I see you are still VERY attached to the garbadge dump pics in Phnom Penh, I'd just select two of the best and leave at that (just my 2 cents, ok?)
With Wales, again I feel this is perhaps your strongest work, and there'S a good selection. Make sure you don't have too much graphical duplication - more or less the same disposition of subjects, next to each other. Thismight mean rummaging around a bit more.
Otherwise this is POWERFUL stuff, we are with you, man 100%, as you know and all want you to succeed in a big way.
Best,
Francis