Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 10-31-2006, 12:15 PM

Default [publication] Himal Magazine

Himal Magazine, a monthly southasian magazine based in Nepal just used one of my photos on their cover - http://www.himalmag.com/, to illustrate a cover story about food.
the editor found this photo on my pbase website and contacted me, that's my fourth cover, really unexpected
Old 10-31-2006, 12:58 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: [publication] Himal Magazine

Good for you maciek.

Must say, the crop they did is pretty good.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
TE Senior Member

See...good things happen.

Congratulations Maciek
Old 11-01-2006, 12:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Congratulations! Four covers is quite an accomplishment, but I have a feeling that it's just the start for you!

Alvin
Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 AM
TE Senior Member

Pan Dakowicz, Congrats on getting the cover. I did some snooping around and with the circulation of Himal at about 15,000... getting the cover should make about $700usd (low end)... ok, sure, that figure is in the US market, but you get the idea.

Another thing this shows, having a photo published is not vindication that a photo is great. It is indeed a photo that is worthy of publishing, but it is by no means one of you best. This is why I think giving photos on the basis of "honor" is a crock... publishing is great but it says little for you real skills. Don't get me wrong, I think you have a great eye... but this piece doesn't do you justice.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:55 AM
TE Senior Member

Default BPPA

Have you look here?

www.thebppa.com

might be worth joining, I don't know how the British one works but in the US there is the NPPA and they have workshops with porfolio reviews from editors... overall a great place for networking. From looking on the site, it looks to be similar in the UK. Worth looking into if you haven't already.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 PM

Default $$$

people here don't say how much they were paid for their photos.. I was paid, I rarely give photos away. but it is a small magazine based in Nepal, so they don't pay much, I got 100$ for the photo. but they were clear, quick and professional, so I agreed
and true, it is not a great photo, it is ok. It just happened they needed a shot like this one. that's why I have so many photos on my pbase website, you never know what photo people might need. I use pbase to sell photos, not to display my portfolio
Old 11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: $$$

But both activities, or velleities (selling pictures and wanting to be a photo-journalist) come from the same person, and on the same sites, Maciej. Just IMO again, but I think it has an influence on how people perceive you and on the difficulty to pin down not what you want, but what you REALLY want to do with your photography. On the same stall at the market place (more like a flea market, given the huge differences between members and velleities on Pbase), you have the salesman who puts all his wares on the tarp/shelves, and the craftman who needs to be selective of his work, and focussed on his goal, which I gather, is not REALLY sell a lot of pictures on your own.

Nothing reprehensible or wrong about it, but, it is not showing a keen laser sharp, gut level focus on what you REALLY want, that would be on par with the quality of work you are capable of!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
TE Senior Member

I understand why you would want to show so many photos on Pbase, but what about just showing your best shots... those alone will showcase versatilty and diversity in your shooting style and content. If someone is looking for a specific shot from a specific area and see that you have great shots from that area, they will enquire if you have something else. Why show mediocre work next to your great work? Looking at professional websites, there is little mediocre work shown (unless it is part of a story and integral to that story). You save the mediorce stuff to sell as stock photography... the good stuff to lure them in.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 PM
TE Expert

It just happened they needed a shot like this one. that's why I have so many photos on my pbase website,
--------
it's obviously your choice and you do what you wish, but to bring up the shopping analogy it is easier to find a gem in a boutique than in a dollar store, I know that I get lost in your gallery, just too much, and sometimes your gems get overshadowed by the invontory you carry.
Peter