Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Washington DC or London

Hi,
I'm thinking of going to either Washington DC or London England for the first week of March (March break). Can anyone tell me how the weather is in March at those places please?

Thanks
Louis
Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Washington DC or London

Hi Louis,

In either location, expect cold and wet. There is always the possibility (but not the probability) of a day or two of nice weather. With the strange weather patterns of the last couple years, you might even possibly get snow in D.C.! The good news is that both cities have a lot of very good (and free!) museums, where you can stay warm and dry.

Cheers,
Jackie
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Jackie,
Thanks for your reply.
I don't mind the cold or the snow, but I was hoping it wouldn't be wet, but deep down, I guess I knew the weather wasn't going to be too pretty...
I'll check the museums and historic sites in both places I guess ;)

Thanks again.
Best Regards,
Louis
Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Louis, England is on the eastern side of the north Atlantic and most of the north Atlantic weather systems move eastwards. Therefore, if there's low pressure (there usually is during the winter months) Ireland and England cop for a load of precipitation. Dependent upon wind direction and strength (northerly and easterly are by far the coldest because of the Arctic and the effects of continental landmass to Britain's east drying out and cooling the air) this could mean anything from a mild spring day to a bitterly cold winter's day - or anything in-between. There's an old saying about March coming in like a lion and out like a lamb. This is because the end of March signals the end of winter and the beginning of spring. Hope this helps. Come to London and experience all seasons in one day. Paul.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the meteorogical (?) course! Actually very useful. So if I were to plan a trip to the UK, end of April/early May would be a good time?
There's also an old saying here about the UK: it rains all the time..! Not sure if it's about Scotland or the UK in general.
The cold weather doesn't bother me, as I'm sure it can't be as cold as in Canada (for now at least, because global warming will cause UK's temperature to drop significantly....,But I would not want to plan an expensive (at least for me) trip to end up only needing my little yellow rubberducky to be like in my bath...

Thanks for the help,
Louis
Old 09-21-2006, 12:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Louis,

Yes, once April is out of the way, the whole of the UK starts to blossom. Spring's in full swing and the good (well 'better') weather is on its way.

We get Atlantic storms all year round but at least the temperature should be up in the high teens degress celsius and maybe up into the low twenties.

I've lived in Wales, England and Scotland and I firmly believe that the best time to see the west coast of Scotland (very beautiful and rugged in places) is end of May / beginning of June as (a) the midges aren't there yet and (b) into June it's light as early as 4 am and doesn't go dark until 11pm - so lots of golf and lots of photography.....!

Hope you enjoy your trip - whenever it may be.

Paul
Old 09-21-2006, 07:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info. I think I've pretty much decided that if I go, it will be after University is over, so end of April/early May.
I'm not sure yet where I'll go. I was thinking somewhere in Scotland, Wales or Somerset.
No golf for me though. I'll stick to photography and maybe do some hiking/cycling if I can find a bike or a trail!

Best wishes,
Louis
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
TE Newbie

Louis,
Weather set a part, London has certainly many more things to see/photograph than D.C. Obviously if you push your visit until later (May-early June) your chances (no guarantee) of fair weather is that much greater.
Happy travels,
Franklin
Old 11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Franklin,
I agree with you, but I really wanted to visit all the historical things in Washington. However, things have changed, and I think I'll be going to France instead! Either way, thanks for your comments!

Best Regards,
Louis
Old 11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Louis,

Well after D.C. and/or London the choice seems to turn towards France, good alternative, Paris is beautiful and the country side as well. The weather is, especially towards the south much milder and sunnier than the UK. Make sure you'll diet before your trip because you'll certainly put on a few pounds when you start enjoying their great cuisine. I'm Canadian but presently live in Belgium so if I can be of any help, just shout.
Rgds,
Franklin