Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Luko 2006-08-28 12:18

When I was a kid, I had this famous illustrated book titled "This is New-York" naively drawn by Miroslav Sasek : it showed orangy colors, typical from the earky seventies, red NYFD engines and yellow cabs. I loved it, it had the power to trigger my kid's imagination like no books could, apart from its twin "This is Hong Kong".

This is is really what your picture makes me think of, perhaps with a mix of Shaftlike mood (that's more for the grown up kid part...).

I waited some thirty five years, until last year, to live the real thing and see NYC with my own eyes : I managed to find the same book at Barnes and Nobles and bought it to my daughter.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:01 PM
TE Expert

Default To Luko: Child memories

Salut Luko,

J’ai bien apprécié ta visite et tes commentaires éclairés. En fait, les livres auxquels tu fais allusion ont également marqué ma jeunesse. Il y a deux ans, j’ai offert «This is New York» et «This is London» à mon filleul.

La magie de ces livres ne semblent pas s’estomper et malgré l’univers de films d’animation 3D, d’effets spéciaux et tout le reste, le gamin a qui j’ai offert ces livres a été totalement fasciné. Je suis convaincu que ta fillette a ressenti le même plaisir; il y a des choses plus éternelles que d’autres...

Merci encore pour le souvenir.

André