Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Announcements

Notices

Old 02-17-2003, 09:02 PM
TE Expert

Default New 'List Cities' Feature

Now that there are close to 1000 cities stored on TrekEarth, a new 'List Cities' feature is now available when uploading or managing photos.

Clicking on the[List Cities] link will bring up a small window with a list of all cities for a specific state/province. Selecting a city will then populate the City name text box in the main photo manage/upload area.

This feature makes it a lot easier to see which cities are currently listed in particular states/provinces.

If there are any problems, please let me know. I plan on adding a similiar feature to allow determination of a state/province based on city name soon.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:51 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: New 'List Cities' Feature

By now the City lists are in some cases quite messed up. Last time I uploaded some pictures from London for instance - there are many-many londons. First there is London under England. Under that London there are on the same level next to each other places like "big ben", "west" and "east", "Londom", "London" and "London city". Confusing. Maybe there is a way we could tidy up these things.

The same problem is with Estonia, where I'm from.
Our capital is Tallinn and it is in Harjumaa county.

Right now there are 5 different Tallinns in TE:

Cities
-Tallinn
Old 03-27-2005, 05:53 PM
TE Newbie

Default Second attempt of message (previous one was posted partially

By now the City lists are in some cases quite messed up. Last time I uploaded some pictures from London for instance - there are many-many londons. First there is London under England. Under that London there are on the same level next to each other places like "big ben", "west" and "east", "Londom", "London" and "London city". Confusing. Maybe there is a way we could tidy up these things.

The same problem is with Estonia, where I'm from.
Our capital is Tallinn and it is in Harjumaa county.

Right now there are 5 different Tallinns in TE:

Cities
-Tallinn
Old 03-27-2005, 05:58 PM
TE Newbie

Default Sorry for making a mess here...

I didn't know there is a limit of message's lenght. The system should tell that...
Anyway, what I wanted to add:
In Estonia there are currently 5 different Tallinns in 5 different regions, and then there are 3 misspelled Tallins in 3 different counties. In real world our capital is Tallinn and it is in Harjumaa county.
This whole mess doesn't really serve the aim of learning about world through photograpy.
Isn't there any way we can correct this mess?Maybe we could find volunteers from each country to check the structure of locations and make the first levels of the location tree fixed and unchangeable?Or perhaps it could be possible to implement a way of fixing these errors if somebody notices them, or at least a way of reporting these errors to somebody who could do that.
I'm offering my help in clearing up the mess in Estonia.

Best wishes,
lennarts
Old 03-28-2005, 07:33 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Sorry for making a mess here...

Tallinn and London have been respectively merged. There really should be an additional level to specify sub-sections within cities. That would be useful I think. Thanks for letting me know, and if there are other location problems please open a new forum discussion, or contact me directly, thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Sorry for making a mess here...

There are also places where we have a mix of English and local spellings: Munich/Muenchen/Munchen, Cologne/Koeln. It ought to be clear somewhere that English spelling should be used with the translations coping with city names.

The use of "city" is also a bit confusing for photographs taken outside of cities. For example, I have pictures taken in national parks, miles from the nearest city (e.g. in the Serengeti). And where should photos of Auschwitz go given that the actual city has a slightly different Polish name and is a few miles from the camps. It'd be less confusing with a more vague heading such as "place".
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
TE Newbie

Default Hi adam and others!

It is so often that I find that the states, regions and cities are a mess. The reason I'm talking about this really isn't that I 'm so uptight and "ordnung must sein" :) It is just that often when posting a photo I want to see if anybody hasn't already taken exact same one or when I'm planning a vacation, I would like to see the photos from certain destinations - also then the correctly functioning location structure would be great help.

Right now I have Rio de Janeiro in mind. There is Rio de Janeiro STATE and under that Rio de Janeiro CITY. However, many people don't notice the diffenence and this is probably how "Maracana Stadium" ended up being a CITY in Rio de Janeiro STATE rather than a location in Rio de Janeiro CITY (what would be correct). There are probably numerous other examples of that kind of mistakes - but I'm not an expert of Rio. I can understant the people who do not notice the difference because I remember when I first came to TE I found it confusing myself. You just do not see the headline STATE - you see "Rio de Janeiro" and think you are already in the city. So I wondered if there was a way to make this easier for users.

I believe all those cities in Rio de Janeiro STATE are essentially the same (maybe somebody from Rio can help here):
-R.Janeiro
-Rio
-Rio Janeiro
-Rio das Ostras
-Rio de Janeiro
-Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
-Rio de Janeiro - Teresopolis
-Rio de Janiero
-Rio e Janeiro
-Rio Janeiro
-Rio of Janeiro
-RJ

There are also other mistakes: somebody has posted a photo of a fly (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/South_America/Brazil/Southeast/Rio_de_Janeiro/Volta_Redonda/) under Volta Redonda city in Rio de Janeiro state. As far as I know Volta Redonda is a football club, not a city.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:57 PM
TE Newbie

To use the Rio example.....
Maybe it would help, if in the navigation bar -
"Photos: Earth >> South America >> Brazil >> Southeast >> Rio de Janeiro >> Rio de Janeiro"
- it would show "Region", "State" and "City" after the name? Or show some icon or symbol? Of course it would make it longer and it would make it go to second row in most od the cases.

----------------------
Few more notes about Rio de Janeiro:

I suspect many of those cities are also the same:
-Teresesopolis / Teresopolis / Rio de Janeiro - Teresopolis
-Arraial do Sana / Arraial do Sana (Macae)
-ilha / Ilha Grande / Ilha Grande - Angra dos Reis
-Itatiaia / Itatiaia (Maromba) / Itatiaia (Vila de Maromba)
-Parati / Paraty / Paratyt

"Nationwide" probably isn't a city at all and "Corcovado" should be under Rio De Janeiro CITY. Please correct me somebody if I'm wrong.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:28 PM
TE Newbie

This problem is also present in Peru. For example in 'Puno' State, there are many mentioned cities that can be put together as one:

- Uros / Islas Uros / Islas Flotantes / Isla Uros / Iles Uros / FLOATING ISLANDS

- Lago Titicaca / lake titicaca / titikaka lake

- 'sun island' is not an island in Peru but in Bolivia. That would be: "Bolivia >> North >> La Paz", although Bolivia has its own problems with city locations, and it probably would by 'Isla del Sol' instead of 'sun island'

In Cuzco:

- The Sacret Valley is no city in Cuzco, just a nickname to a part of the Urubamba Valley. It probably deserves no 'city' to be located

- 'Sacsayhuaman' and 'Pukapukara' are part of Cuzco city
- pisaq / pisaac / Pisac
- "Pachacamac" isn't located in Cuzco but in Lima state
- "Ollyantambo" should be under "Ollantaytambo"
- "near Salineras" is no place
- "Inca Trail" is no city at all, just a trail, as its name (in English or Spanish) says

In Lima:

- "Lima Centro" should be under "Lima"
- "Ticlio" is no city, but the place has that specific name, even in maps of Peru, and no city nearby.

The list could be too long in all places in TE, but perhaps of we all help Adam when an error occurs in a region we know well, this could be greatly reduced. Maybe a click on 'report violation' to report an incorrectly geographicaly positioned photograph. Just an idea.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:05 AM
TE Expert

Hi Adam,
I was going to mention this before, but i have forgotten lately because of being busy,,
One city which is very important in the Western Black Sea region of Turkey is missing in Black Sea Region cities list on TE., this city is called "Bolu" I will appreciate it if you pls add that to the cities in Black Sea Region after Bayburt.. Because of this missing city, I put my shot "Flower sellers" in Zonguldak area which is totaly wrong but the closest one..(that shot was taken in the "Seven Lakes" area which is actually belongs to that restrict of the city "Bolu")

Thanks in advance..,

evren