Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great s10001in 2006-06-24 9:07

Henk,

I Nice shot.
Well, difficult subject to take snap & to discuss their issues.

Well, I also want to suggest small correction. I may wrong but I spent many years in India & as far as my knowledge, they are nither female nor male.
Yeah, they were male but their sex changed by Arivani prist to make them "Arivani".
A common word being used is "Hijara". A nice book written on this topic is "Hijraj".
Life is total mysterious & many things are not yet clear to normal public in India.

To get the job is real issue for them.
Very neglected part like dust in Indian society.
You can see some life of them in movie called "Mid-Night secreat".

Sorry for long commnet.
Regards,
shailendra

Old 06-24-2006, 05:45 AM
TE Expert

Default To s10001in: Arivani

Most of them went before several years to Bombay to change their sex often in a most cruel way, cutting and using acid, and they were very agressive beggars feared by most man showing when they didn't wont to give money.
Nowadays not all change their sex in Tamil Nadu, chirurgie if they can afford.
Compared to the sex-exploitation in cities they are still in the minority, like I said, I know a protestant socio-worker who showed me this kind of life in Chennai and went to several organisations, the discussions there were sometimes surprising and maybe not appropriate to discus in detail here, but sure a lot of taboes and strong traditional socio patterns block the free expression of lot of young people here. Also the arranged marriages and less women are cause of unhappy situations.