Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default What not to miss in Morocco?

Could you please advise which places it's better to go in Morocco?
Thanks to everybody;)
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: What not to miss in Morocco?

Zooe, it's easier to say where to avoid........Tangiers. I had an appalling "holiday" in Tangiers a few years ago. It used to be a free port and, as such, attracted all the dregs of society as well as big money and corruption. I found it most unpleasant. The modern "city" has little to recommend it. The ancient part was very scruffy and down-at-heel.

That said, I went on a number of excursions down the Atlantic coast and the villages all seemed very clean and friendly - as were the Berber villages in the hills to the east.

I was disappointed never to have got to Fes, Rabat or Casablanca. However, I intend going there at some point before too long.

One tip - don't point your camera at any police or military personnel or any civic or governmental buildings, airports, railway stations or the like. the locals have a complete sense of humour failure about such things and are known to confiscate your gear.

Paul.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 AM
TE Newbie

Dear Paul!
Thank you a lot for your answer. It's very helpful!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Hola Zooe! Tangier is more or least like this , bustling place overcrowded with rogues and hustlers trying to cheat and beset you . Has certain romanthic scent as long as you have read something By Paul Bowles , Jack Kerouac , William Burroughs ...But my advice(piece od ) is that once in Tangier don't waste time there , approach to the nearest bus station and for little monmey you can discover the true Morocco

Among my preferences : Chefchaouen (blue city , not far from Tangier , more or less 100 kms with a intermediate stop in Tetouan)

Fès (the most incredible medieval arab city i 've ever visited . Don't know about Damascus or Aleppo but they have it difficult to overthrow Fès )

Atlantic coast : Asilah (colourful houses , quiet atmosphere , ocean , nice fish dishes ) and southern , Essaouira

South : Marrakech and the astounding , amazing route of kasbah in red (as a dream ) : Ouarzazate, Aït Benaddou , Dra , Dadés , Tinehir and Er Rachidia (with the wild red Sahara desert and dunes in Zagora , Merzouga )

Morocco is a cheap country if you travel on budget . It is easy to find hospitality among people .

If you need something more i'm here to help you

Besos ;)
Old 06-29-2006, 07:42 AM
Banned

Essaouira is to me a place that should not be missed.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
TE Senior Member

I was going to give a list , but I see that Nika has already done that perfectly. Yes, Fez is amazingly photogenic, just as is the rose colored city of Marakesh, and, with the possibility of side trips into the Atlas Mountains, breathtaking!
Morocco is not expensive, but, in my experience it is not always safe either, so , take care.