Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great sabyasachi1212 2006-05-27 5:03

Hi Kazi,
I don't understand why almost no critiques. This is a wonderful composition, must rank as one of your best. Well seen and even better captured. Excellent combination of the reflection and the real view.
btw, is it boishabi or boishaki?
TFS
Sabyasachi

Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 AM
TE Newbie

Default To sabyasachi1212: Boishabi and Boishakhi

Hello Sabyasachi,
Thanks for the appreciation.

Boishabi is actually different from boishakhi but both are new year celebrations. Boishabi is a common name for the new year celebration of most of the indigineous cultures of Bangladesh. As far as I know - the Chakma, Tripura, Khumi, Marma and some other people call it Biju Festival. The Rakhain people call it Shangrai Festival. In some cultures it is called Shangraia and so on. There are a few other names too, which unfortunately I can't recall. Anyway, in the mainstream Bangladeshi media and everywhere else all these festivals are commonly termed as boishabi utsav - a name which (according to my friends from the Chittagong Hill Tracts) the indigineous people don't themselves use.

These festivals start on the last day of the last month of the Bangla calendar by saying good bye to the year that is going away - this is the Choitra Shongkranti. But the calendar of most of these indigineous people are slightly different from the Bangla calendar - usually 1 to 3 days difference in most cases. That is why this year while new year came to the Chakma or Khumi people on the 13th of April, for the Rakhains it started on the 15th of April.

Throughout most of the cultures the rites and rituals are the same - first day involves cleaning the home, decorating it with flowers, burning incese and praying. On the second day there is the fabulous Pani Utsav - a ritual where young men and women throw water at each other from boats. And the third day involves praying in the temple or even at home.

We went to see the festivals of Chakma people in Rangamati and were heavily disappointed to see a dull and lifeless festival. But later we learned that because of the increasing Bangali settlements, aggression and torture of the Bangali people with the help of Bangladesh Army the indigineous people now a days do not observe the festival in the town - what is seen in the town is only a fraction and that too lacks the spirit. To see the actual festival one has to go deep in the hills into the "para" or villages of these people.

And Boishakhi, I guess you know.

Best regards. Kazi
Old 05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To sabyasachi1212: Boishabi and Boishakhi

Hello Kazi,
Thanks for filling me in with all the details about Boishabi. It is really a wealth of information. Bangladesh is known as a predominantly muslim country the world over, it is nice to know about the ethnic and indigenous heritages of these tribals as well. I really appreciate.
Best Regards
Sabyasachi