Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Eagle78 2004-05-31 17:59

Hi Per! Hope you had a great time at Russia and that you found your family just great :) About the image: its a lovely street scene, with a good composition and very nice colors...is that sign anouncing the lady´s products or something??!! I don´t understand russian you know??!! ;)) maybe i would have tried to avoid the gate\fence on the lower right. Anyway a very nice scene, i like it..and welcome back :)

Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Eagle78: Babushka's sign, translated

The sign says:

on the red background: FLOWERS
then big blue letters say: BOUQUETS
then the following slightly smaller blue letters say: POTTED PLANTS

and the rest, after the separating line, says: ARE SOLD IN THE UNDERGROUND STREET CROSSING

Hope this helps :)
Old 06-01-2004, 03:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Eagle78: Babushka's sign, translated

dear Michael,
Thanks a million for the translation - it actually adds an extra dimension to the shot as far as I can see. The old lady is in fact using the billboard from the official flowershop inside the station to draw attention to her own little business. And while I was taking this, my wife was inside the official shop getting flowers for people we were about to visit.
And the whole concept of two economies co-existing peacefully like this is to me very symptomatic of the current Russian situation. I didn't see anyone at any time trying to stop or remove these streetvendors. And of course their business doesn't stop at flowers and lettuce. But more of that later.
Thanks
Per
Old 06-01-2004, 03:49 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Eagle78: Babushka's sign, translated

Per,

you are welcome (if you'll need any translations for other Russian photos of yours, let me know). And if you come to St.Petersburg again, feel free to contact me, perhaps we can have a little impromptu TE trek here.