Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 05-31-2004, 06:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Scavenger Hunt.... Here We Go Again

OK, sorry for the delays, but I have come up with the topics for the newest scavenger hunt. With some discussion from a few members, I have decided this will cover two months and contain twelve topics.

To quickly go over the rules again.

First, all photos must fit into the regular posting regulations of trekearth. No studio shots, no shots of friends, etc.

Second, all shots must be taken during the period of the Scavenger Hunt. This is meant to give us motivation to get out and take new photos, not go through our files to find old shots.

Third, this is for fun, there are no winners, although hopefully everyone who participates wins, simply because this is a fun exercise. However, if you participate and are successful in uploading all 12 shots, I promise to buy you a beer should you visit me in Taipei.....actually, for anyone who visits Taipei, the first round is on me, regardless of whether you participate in the hunt.

Fourth, you can only submit a photo for one topic of the hunt. Should a photo you upload qualify for more than one category, you will have to choose one category only.

Fifth, have fun. This is meant to be a motivating thing as well as a community building activity. Let's get out, get original and have fun.

I will post the categories in the next thread.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:39 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Scavenger Hunt.... Categories

1. A Reflection Off Something Other Than Water
2. Rush Hour
A shot taken showing traffic congestion during the busiest time of the day. Even small villages have a busiest time
3. Someone or a Team Practicing or Playing a Sport Competitively
This can include pick up games or informal competitions, but they must be playing to win.
4. An Animal in Its Natural Habitat
No zoo animals or pets, these must be non-captive animals
5. A Group of Exactly Four People
6. Repetitive Patterns
7. A Musician(s) In Action
8. Something (or Someone) Greater Than 200 Years Old
9. A Shot of a Building With No Perspective Distortion
This will be tougher than it seems. To do so, your film/sensor must be completely perpendicular to the ground (unless you are using a shift lens, if you have to ask what that is, you aren't using one). The building must not be cropped. The perspective can't be fixed in Photoshop either, must be in camera.
10. Something Orange
11. A Pathway or Roadway Leading to a Vanishing Point
12. A Shot Taken During a Storm of Some Type
Can be a rain storm, wind storm, snow storm, etc.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Scavenger Hunt.... Here We Go Again

Thanks Darren... these themes are interesting and challenging.
I would have hoped for at least one "country" or "nature" theme (except for the animal) since it's summer season on the Northern hemisphere and a lot of people go to the country for their vacation (think about that for the August scan hunt OK?) ....but there's a lot of choice here to satisfy everyone I'm sure.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:11 PM
TE Expert

This looks challenging and fun. It will surely stretch my skills as a photographer but I'll give it a try. Unfortunately, since I live in California and it is summer, there won't likely be a storm of any type. I expect we'll have it sunny and warm for the next five months. I might get a dramatic shot of fog, which I hope will fit the bill. We could call it a fog storm... ;-)

Do you set up a theme for the scavenger hunt so we can view them all in one place? Perhaps a theme for each category so we can see all the "Orange" images together. I like that idea, though for the life of me I have no idea how one creates a theme. In fact, if anyone could fill me in on that I'd appreciate it. I want to create a theme on Shadows.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Default How to create a theme

If you want to create your own theme, you first have to choose "My Account" from the menu, then choose "Manage" from the submenu that appears, and then "My Themes" from the next submenu. Here you will be able to click on "Create Theme". You have to choose wheter is will be a personal theme (photos can be added only by you) or a group theme (photos can be added by all TE members).
Old 05-31-2004, 11:36 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: How to create a theme

I tried something like that but something was amiss, since nothing happened. I'll give it another try and check back in if I'm having trouble. Perhaps I'll send you an email directly.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:23 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for coming up with the items, Darren. This should provide for interesting excursions over the summer! You can now see it listed on the new Scav Hunt tab. It's listed as "Summer of '04" hunt but I can change it if you have another suggestion.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:25 AM
TE Expert

Nina, with the new scav hunt feature it's now possible to have multiple hunts going on at the same time. So if you want to create your own hunt please let me know and I might create a mini hunt that runs for a couple of weeks or so, depending if there is enough interest in one.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:55 AM
TE Expert

Since this is all new to me and frankly I'm in awe of how you've accommodated these scavenger hunts. I just checked one out and I'm amazed at how well it is organized. Having much appreciated the excellence of so many features in your website, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But I have to tell you I am very impressed with what you've been doing here. This is a very fun place in which to play!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:03 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for the possibility Adam. But for the time being I think 12 categories are quite enough for a period of 2 months otherwise if we start too much different hunts at the same time we might loose interest. My suggestion was just so it was kept in mind that a theme on the yearly summer vacation could be interesting to put forth before the end of the summer.