Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 01-16-2006, 07:36 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Attention India Experts

I know there are lots here who are well aquainted with India. I beg some advice. I had been planning on a month in India starting in March, but that has now been shifted up by almost a month. This has left me pretty unprepared, I haven't even bought the Lonely Planet yet. I have a friend in Mumbai, so that is to be my first stop. Other than that, I really have no idea. I will shoot out this afternoon to pick up the Lonely Planet, but if anyone else has a suggestion of possible itineraries, or must see spots, please let me know.

Also, if anyone will be there when I am visiting, or lives in India, of course, I would love to hear from you and hopefully even meet up. I am not good at planning travel at the best of time and with the short notice now, I am really behind. Any and all advice would be gratefully appreciated.

India is new for me, so I am really looking forward to this trip.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Attention India Experts

I had travelled in India twice, it is great, fantastic! I travel with a car and a driver, I contacted Indian agencies by internet to find it. I strated my first trip from Chennai (Madras) and then I went South. The second tour I started from Delhi and thean I visited Rajastan. During my first tour I bought a not expensive ticket to fly inside India, you'll see what I mean in Lonely Planet guide. Ciao Livia
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 AM
TE Newbie

India has a wide variety of options for a traveller. If I read your current plans right, you intend coming to India in April. Be warned that April is pretty warm (by Indian standards, by western standards, it would be termed as bloody HOT!). My suggestion would be
1. Mumbai-Goa. Spend a week there. Goa has some nice beaches.
2. Kerala. Alleppy, Kumarakoam and Munnar. If you are the Wildlife kind, you can consider spending a couple of days in Bandipur Wildlife sanctury at the Kerala,Karnataka,Tamil Nadu border.
3. Head North to the Delhi, Agra, Jaipur triangle.
4. If you are not on a tight budget and are reasonalby fit, I would suggest a trek up the Himalayas. April is a nice time to be up in the mountains.
If you let me know your preferences, (what interests you, mountains, beaches, trekking, historical monuments etc) I might be able to offer you better suggestions.
Cheers and have a nice trip.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
TE Newbie

Hill stations and mountains are the ideal destinations during summer. Summer starts around mid march and lasts till mid june. The temperature could go as high as 45C. You got do the same thing the British used to do when they were in India, move to the hills. Else you will have live & travel in the comforts of air conditioned cars and hotels all the time.

Since you are landing in Mumbai, you have a couple of hill stations that are close by - Mahabaleshwar & Khandala. The hill stations along the Western Ghats/Nilgiris are quite ideal. Check out places like Kodaikanal & Ooty (Tamil Nadu state) as well. There are some good nature resorts in the Wayanad district of Kerala State. There are some beautiful temples, palaces & forts in the south that would help you catch a glimpse of the Indian culture too. Check out places like Mysore (Karnataka state) & Madurai(Tamil Nadu).

You can also visit Gangtok, capital for the state of Sikkim which is to the east of Nepal. Darjeeling - known for its tea gardens and scenic views of the Himalayas is also close to Gangtok.

You travel up north towards Leh, Kulu/Manali, Shimla as well.

The travel guides to India should talk more about the places I have mentioned here. Avoid the plains as much as possible.

Have a nice holiday!!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
TE Newbie

-Varanasi made biggest impression on me and this place is a dream for a photographer. Stay near the ghats and rent a row boat at sunrise, for about 2 hrs.
-Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and Pushkar for the beautiful colors.

I visited Shimla(tourist trap) and Manali in April 2003 but would rather recommend some smaller towns around Manali for the Tibetan culture/influences. And the faces - great people photography.

You can research these places and decide which to include.
Happy Travels !
Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 PM
TE Newbie

Hi,
Great to know you are visiting India. We stay in Delhi and would be glad to help you. Send em an email at contact@karthik.info.

Here's my list of places to see. Since you have a month you can cover a lot without getting tired. days needed in brackets.

South India - travel by road, except Goa - Bangalore leg - fly.

Bombay(2) -> Goa (2) -> Bangalore (2) -> - Kerala - Kumarakom, Munnar (4) -> Kanyakumari (1)
-> Madurai (1) -> Pondicherry (1) -> Chennai, Mahabalipuram (1)

Fly to Delhi in North India.

New Delhi (2) so much to see here -> Fly to Jaisalmer (2) -> train to Jaipur (2) -> car to Agra (2) -> Delhi (1) -> car to Chail (2) -> car to Dharamsala (2) -> Return to Delhi. Relax. fly back. :)

You can also check out out site http://www.incredibleindiaphotos.com, for photos and some travelogues.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful journey! Discover Incredible India!
Cheers
Karthik
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi,
I would like to share my thoughts.More or less the same as Karthik mentioned.

Bombay(2)->Goa(2)->Kovalam(1)->Kanyakumari(2)->Madurai(1)
fly to Delhi via Chennai.
Delhi->Agra/Tajmahal(1)->Rajasthan Trip(7)(Would suggest to bye Palace On Wheel Train ticket for that)->Himachal (7)->Kausani(2)->Delhi
Cheers!!