Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 12-31-2005, 07:35 AM
TE Newbie

Default Your favourite place in your country?

Every country is famous for something, but what do you like best about yours? It doesn't matter if you were born there, or live there now, I'm sure there's some things you totally love. Can you point us to a special place, event or tradition that is off the tourist routes? Somewhere great photos are born?
Old 12-31-2005, 08:10 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Your favourite place in your country?

My favourite places:

in Singapore -
1. The FOOD. ANY Singaporean will direct you to their favourite place or favourite stall. Just ask. Go to the out of the way hawker centers: avoid tourist traps like Newton. Hop into a taxi and ask "uncle" to take you to his favourite place for supper, or breakfast, or lunch. Enjoy! You will not get sick, but you might get a chilli overdose!
2. The Night Safari. I have taken countless friends & visitors there, and every single time something different happens: from the mama & baby Tapir following our (slow-moving) tram, to watching a (very big and intimidating) tiger clean itself right in front of the glass enclosure; I have always had a great time.
3. Pulau Ubin. This is where to go to get off the beaten track and see a totally different side of Singapore.

in Mexico
1. Isla Holbox is so off the beaten track even Mexicans don't know about it. I was so relaxed and happy there I ended up taking about 10 photos. All I did was swim, lie in a hammock reading or sleeping and eat lots of seafood.
2. el Bazar Sabado. No trip to Mexico City is complete without a trip here. Really. Even if you don't buy anything, it has some of the most well-crafted pottery, silver, etc. in Mexico, and the prices are very competitive. Trust me. We buy almost all our souvenirs here. Where? Plaza San Jacinto, San Angel. When? Saturdays only.
3. Gaia restuarant is where I had one of the best meals in my life. The service is impeccable, the food excellent, the location charming, and all at a very reasonable price. Located in Cuernavaca, about 1.5 hours from Mexico by bus.

Of course, some of the best ways to find out about special places is to ask the locals. =) So all you locals, what are you waiting for?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:47 PM
TE Newbie

I am from Georgia, USA, but my favorite place anywhere in the world is Olomouc, Czech Republic. I studied there for a year and is the most gripping and beautiful place anywhere.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
TE Junior Member

It's a no brainer for me, definitely the Rocky Mountains. Their photographic potential is reflected in the TE images from Alberta and British Columbia.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm from Venezuela and there are a lot of really beautiful places here if you like nature (there are a lot of national parks). My favorite places would the be Los Roques, an archipel formed by around 300 islands and islets with amazing white sands and clear waters (see my page for a picture), and the Gran Sabana, the oldest place of the world from a geological point of view, which is full of waterfalls, jungle, and teh amazing table mountains called tepuyes. I will post some pictures in the future.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:43 AM
TE Newbie

Without a question my favourite place, where I would like to spend part of my life is Colombia, I lived In Medellin a beatiful country in the middle of Colombia, Our State, Antioquia is full of natural parks and not only here also in 80% of my country you can have the opportunity to visit great scultures and cultural places.

COLOMBIA LO MEJOR
Old 01-13-2006, 07:19 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Lynn,
My favorite place in Oregon would have to be the Painted Hills Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon. This unit is close to Bend, Oregon that is nestled in the volcanic country of Central Oregon, and it is also four hours drive from Portland. If you are going to visit here you will see many high peaks such as Mt. Jefferson-11,000'--Three Sisters-10,000'-- Mt. Hood-11,000'-- Newberry Volcano,Extinct Volcano Crater--you can also walk the obsidian trail at Newberry, and camp at East Lake Resort Cabins. A beautiful lake with hot springs and great fishing.
I have many photos of the Painted Hills on my site under Wahclellaspirit, or Steve Warnstaff.
Hope this helps,
Steve Warnstaff
Old 01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default favourite in greece

in greece although is too turistic,have still left(fortunatelly)places untouched from the massive tourism espesially in the continent(as the tourists prefer islands).
one national parc on the north west of greece that i find amazing,is "valia calda" with lots of forest,mountains,river and lakes.
if its for bird watching the best place is "prespes"(on the north again),a big lake that attracts immigrating birds.
south crete has many beautiful beaches.
in ganeral for islands is better to avoid august,cause is bloody packed.best months june and september.
and whoever visits greece is good to remember to respect the nature:))
Old 02-01-2006, 05:49 AM
TE Newbie

Monterrey CA is nice. I also enjoy visiting the area around San Francisco. I live in the desert and getting near the ocean is a nice break.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:05 PM
TE Newbie

Moab, Utah. Actually just southern Utah, the desert gives some truly stunning images. It helps that I'm an avid mountain biker and Moab is well known for it. I'm very thankful that it's only a 5 hour drive from Denver...