Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 03-14-2005, 12:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Bosnia & other places

Actually, Dan, I was only in Bosnia for two nights and just in Sarajevo, so I don't have that much info for you. I came from Dubrovnik on the bus, which was very easy and the roads were very good. I left Sarajevo for Zagreb by bus, also easy, but long. Within Sarajevo, the trams are efficient, easy, and cheap. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about trains to or from.

As for places to stay, I spent my first night at one of the worst hostels ever -- crowded, noisy, smoky, dirty, etc. I can't remember the name right now (but I might be able to dig it up), but it's right across from teh main square in teh Turkish quarter (to be honest, I only stayed there out of laziness because they sent someone to scout up tourists at the bus station and I just went along with him, against my better instincts). Anyway, I spent the second night in a private room (which is typical all over Eastern Europe) that was arranged through the same travel agency that owned the hostel, and it was fine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Enjoy your trip!

Mimi
Old 03-19-2005, 09:46 AM
TE Newbie

Default Prague- skip it. How about Krakow

Prague is seething with German tourists. The most boring city I visited in New Europe.

I'd really recommend zipping East a bit to see Krakow, Poland. It's a little jem. Poles are fantastic people too.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default Hungary - Ukraine?

It's be a shame to be so close to the Eastern Ukrainian city jewel of Lviv, and miss it. You should see if you can make a small detour (since Hungary borders Ukraine)!

Check out my photos, I have some pics!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:45 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Hungary - Ukraine?

I'd love to visit the Ukraine sometime; however, there will not be time to for the Ukraine now and I have avoided it simply because the other countries do not require a visa to enter. Once I have covered all the countries in Europe that do not require visas for my passport, I will have the Ukraine on my list. Lviv does sound like a jewel.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Bosnia & other places

The trip went wall whirling through Slovakia, Bosnia-Herzegovnia, Serbia & Montenegro. I've just posted an image from each of these places here.

In Sarajevo I stayed in a lovely pension in the old Turkish section - a lovely surprise.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Eastern Europe Trip -- Any Tips??

how about Poland?
Zakopane? Krakow? Gdansk? ... and so much more!
regards,
Krzysztof