Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Announcements

Notices

Old 02-01-2003, 09:31 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Future changes...

"this will just tend to increase the highest viewed ones just because they are the most viewed"

You can disable counting views for photos then someone clicked on a thumbnail in a list sorted by views.

What about me, I see nothing wrong for popular photos become more popular. :-)
Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Adam

Hi Adam
This new sorting options are good and can be usefull.
Bit In my opinion Trek Earth need two more option .
That is search for photo by exact name of photo and exact name and surname of autor.
I try to find few photo that I notice earlier and I know their names or name and surname of author. But when i put that name in Search box as result I everytime get hunderds sometimes thousands of photos. To find something in such a great quantity is very tedious and timeconsuming job and it would be very useful if we could search on exact name.

Regards and compliments on very nice place on Internet.

DArko
Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: New Member Sort Options

quote : plan on adding this in eventually. It will allow the following choices:

-Highest Rated
-Most viewed
-No Comments end quote

Agree to the new sorting posibility
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 AM
TE Junior Member

[ "I'm going to throw in my two cents again about tagging certain pictures as 'Highest Rated'. I'd hate to see this site turn in to a contest."

That's a good point. I am also concerned about any kind of race for points. It can lead to some unpleasant behavior. In the meantime I need to do some backend prepping for speed reasons as well as this feature so it will be some time to do this anyway. If anyone else has opinions on whether I should have a sort by highest rated etc, please let me know. ]

I don't think that a posibility of sorting photos listed by points (or better said popularity) will result of turning this place into contest.
But I think that such an option could be usefull, especially to people who are new to photography. With that posibility anyone could easily find which photos recieved strongest respond from TE members and why.

When you have (soon) over 400000 photos it is very usefull if we can be able to see photos that get most and those who get least attention on site.
In such points system I don't think that there is a room to some really unpleasent behavior. There is no averarage ranking which anybody can lower with poor rating. There is no negative point and nobody can rate any photo more than once. Voting is very limited 1, 2 or 0 point.
On other hand it could be very educatuional and usefull to see photos that get big response and recieved 100 or more points (when you have in mind that 20 or 30 points isn't easy to get among 400 000 photos.
I hope that Adam will implement this posibility.

Regards Darko
Old 10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
TE Newbie

For my change I just want to upload, just one picture, the first since my registering. (Today)....
It's impossible for me Mister Adam.
Reguards Moitessier
Old 02-18-2007, 11:53 AM
TE Junior Member

Adam, the new sort facility is very good. However, would it be possible to adapt this so that when one types in the name (or ID) of a photographer it shows the full range of data available - including number of photos and critiques?

Paul.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 AM
TE Senior Member

Just to reply to the post about no problem with most popular photo being sorted and indicated...Alot of times, the true quality of a photograph will not neccessarily be well represented by the number of points aquired...this, quite often has to due with ones participation in TE. Now participation is well regarded, but there are fantastic photos with very little points mostly due to a lack of participation by the poster. To tie this all together, I think it is wrong to imply one will learn to be a better photographer by studying the most popular images...while some (alot) are extremely good, some are a little short in true quality. Only an opinion of course.
What I think would benefit more would be a more diverse opening (home) page for TE. I think we can all agree that the same featured favorites and destinations come up time and time again...as well as featured critiques.
Adam, I'm not sure how the judging for placement on the home page is done, but a more diverse page will lead to better interaction between the comunity. A Coffee shop of sorts for the TE fans...a place where we can visit and find something new everyday. For instance, the rabbit with blood...maybe time to shelve this shot and post something with a great quantity of positive critiques...or very few critiques, but of a truly good quality.
Points are difficult; it is like a trainwreck...we all want to peek and look, although it may not be healthy.

Chris
Old 03-03-2007, 09:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Adam, I hate to labour a point but I feel it would be very interesting if, when I type my name / ID into the "search" box, that rather than just isolate my name, the system would take me to the place where all the data about me is stored.

Today, I wanted to find out both how many photos I've taken (quite easy as it's shown on my profile) AND how many critiques I've written - very difficult unless I can find me in the ever-growing list of members (or I trawl through the "critiques given" on my profile).

I would like, if possible, to be able to see where I sit amonst my contemporaries - i.e. if the "sort by" option would allow me to select those people with the same number of photos taken as me, those with the same number of points as me and those with the same number of critiques as me (etc).

If this is possible, then I would be very grateful.

Thank you for a great and improving site.

Paul.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:26 AM
TE Newbie

I tried out the sort option today as I wanted to see member names similar to a particular one. What I found was that it's very hard to drill down the list beyond a few dozen pages. You have to keep jumping about 5 pages at a time. Is there some way to skip to page N or to start the list at position X. If not I think this would be a terrific addition to the sort function. Some way to jump down the list. I think the member list must be about 500 pages long so if you sort on username and want to see the T... ones then it's hard work. Unless maybe I'm missing a shortcut or something.

Chris :)
Old 04-08-2007, 05:32 AM
TE Newbie

Oh, I just noticed you can change the page number in the address and poke your way down to find certain pages. That's a help.

I haven't seen a forum to enter questions about the site in general. I'll ask here but please let me know if there is a place to ask questions like this...

I also signed up for TrekLens and linked the accounts from both ends using the Link option in TE and TL profiles page. It doesn't really seem to do much though. I'm wondering if it's possible to have info from ne profile show up in the other. In particular, equipment list details. I entered my cameras and lenses in TE and thought maybe the linking would let them show up over there in TL. But so far no go. Do I have to re-enter the equipment all over again on TL? It was easy to copy my intro and add a photo there too but the gear actually takes a while to do.

Thanks for this site. It's looking really interesting right now and I hope to participate a lot as time goes on.

Chris :)