Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great philip_coggan 2005-08-15 21:01

Tres jolie cette endroite :) I'm sure these houses are very expensive! I wonder who lives in them? (Or is it like southern Spain, the Costa del Ingles...? :)

Old 08-22-2005, 02:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume
Default To philip_coggan: Very expensive indeed...

But this is just an old perched village, with ordinary stone houses, once built around XIth century by workers of some Lords who gathered them around their castles, and who lived from vineyards and keeping farm animals I guess...

When the “baby boom” generation could not find work anymore, in the 60ties, and had to go to the city, those villages got empty and wealthy people from France, Germany and Great-Britain began to buy the old houses and made the interiors ultra modern for a lot of money, just the exteriors are kept original due to law rules for keeping monuments.

I know you don't like pictures which are "jut simply pretty" and I’m aware of that – well deserved and justified - tone of "sarcasm" behind your comment, as you are living in a world where ONE door-knob would probably feed a family for quite a while. I really understand and it's a shame I can't do nothing about it and that I can't express something about humanity in my work instead of ordinary "empty" postcards.
But it's the Provence, a part of my country, and I can't deny that I like the outside of such small streets that still looks like centuries ago... Just a pity I have to close my eyes for what is happening behind - [some of] - those walls.

In the meanwhile I feel relieved that people like you exist, with a great heart and a lot of courage. Merci Philip!

Amitiés - Viviane
Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume
Default Post-Scriptum...

A detail of historic facts: Donatien Alphonse François was a French writer whose works contain descriptions of sexual perversions, now internationally infamous, and better known as the Marquis de Sade, and he happened to be the lord of this little Provençal village of Lacoste.