Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
TE Newbie

Default india

i'm looking to visit india next year for the first time (probably around february) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to see (about to get the lonely planet guide).

also what are peoples experiences with carrying around an SLR camera. how likely is it that i will get mugged =) whats the best way to carry it around without attracting too much attention?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: india

Hi,
February is a good time to visit India. There are a lot of things to see here because its a huge country. You can fix up what you like to see - like beaches, temples, mountains, jungles, desert, old cities or whatever and also the time you are going to spend, then I can recommend you some good places. Carrying an SLR camera is not a big deal and you can sling it around your neck or have it in your shoulder bag. But if you are using a knapsack (like lowepro or tamrac) be sure to hang it onto your chest and not on your back while in crowded places like railway stations or fairgrounds. Chances of getting mugged are little unless you are in certain infamous places( that I'm not telling here because any member hailing from these places may get hurt). Don't get into package deals of travel agents (except if you have a lot of money you don't care about) and try to plan out trips by yourselves. The lonely planet is a great book and there's the internet also. You can get hold of me any time you need and I can provide you a LOT OF EXPERT ADVICE FOR FREE :).

Cheers
Bikram
Old 08-09-2005, 07:24 AM
TE Newbie

hi bikram, thanks for the tips.

i'm still waiting to get the lonely planet guide from the library before we work out what we want to see. i had a flick through it in the shops so i can't wait to read it.

the package deals don't really appeal to me, i'd rather do my own thing and have a bit of flexibility... dont like being rushed around!

thanks
Rowan
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 AM
TE Expert

LP is a good traveler's guide, rough guide too (I prefer), but to get some ideas, of where, and what (festivals), beforehand, check your local library or buy the DK "eyewitness travel guide" to India. Hundreds of color pix thumbnails, many cameo articles on culture and arts. It will help situate the places even better than the mostly-prose travel guides aforemnetionned.
India is another planet, a world into itself, anywhere is an incredible experience, you have to choose yourself, and it will be limited, unless you travel for over a year.
Try to corner one chunk of the country, trains go everywhere, but travel between States take a long and harrowing time, if repeated often. That's one reason I tend to procrastinate in one place, not always ready for another 12 to 17 hours haul...

H
Old 08-26-2005, 06:21 AM
TE Newbie

yes we only have 3 weeks so i'm thinking we will have to limit ourselves to not too big an area otherwise we will waste too much time travelling. we can always come back again and visit the parts we miss..

i will try and find that book, thanks for the suggestion =)
Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
TE Expert

I have this kind of a very long mail that I had written to a friend of mine in Canada who intends to visit India in January
if interested ... contact me through my intro page, or give me your email id and I can send you that information
cheers ... sarju
PS: the information is in word file ... and I don't really feel like posting all that mammoth info here
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 AM
TE Expert

Hi Rowan
I will around in Madurai that moment, so if you ever plan to visit Tamil Nadu that period, it will be around 28C, no rain. Let me know if you plan to come there and mention what you would like, you know I'll be glad to help you around there.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 AM
TE Newbie

hi henk
thanks for the offer! at this stage we're postponing our trip probably for a year or so (need to save some money for a while). but madurai and TN is definitely on my itinerary.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TE Newbie

hi rowan
I am sumit from India a travel agent. Please visit our web www.globaldest.net for info of our country
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 AM
TE Newbie

Default India travel

Hi,
thanks for the information, really India is best country for traveling and i like India...

India travel