Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
TE Newbie

Default Walking Street Scene Panoramas

Hi,

I recently took some panorama photos in Shanghai which I want to stitch together.

I've looked at the panorama stitching programs described here:
http://www.treknature.com/read.php?f=5&t=15673&m=21495&tt=flat]

BUT.... my panoramas do not work too well with these programs.

I have taken some street scenes where I walk along a street and photograph the buildings/people opposite. Therefore I end up with a series of pictures taken at the same angle/position to the subject. An analogy would be if I was copying a document; instead of panning the camera and photographing the subject from a different angle, I move the camera and photograph a different part of the same subject from the same angle.

The panorama programs do not seem to do a good job of stitching this type of panorama. One of the problems is that if you look inside a doorway, you get a different view depending on where you are standing.

Any suggesting for stitching this type of panorama is much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Walking Street Scene Panoramas

I think you've already answered why it's difficult to make panoramas like this - there's nothing you can do to match sections with different perspective. You could minimise this effect by taking your pictures from further away with a longer lens. Alternatively, take them closer, but more frequently and use only the central (i.e. closest to perpendicular) section from each image.

Skorj has been doing some of these: take a look here and here
Old 08-05-2005, 06:43 AM
TE Newbie

We used that same technique when I was in architectural school. The project was the renovation of 4 blocks of storefronts on both sides of the street. To begin the project, I took photos of the opposite side of the street and stitched them together. Then we overlaid our design on top of the photos and submitted it to the city for discussion. The trick to making the effort successful is to use only a small portion, maybe no more than the central 25% so there is a minimum of lens distortion an all of the views are nearly flat straight-on views with little perspective. When stitching, I recommend a 5 or 10 pixel faded edge to minimize the effect of variations from frame to frame. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:46 AM

I think you should be able to work it with something like PTgui or PTassembler, but without trying it, it's hard to say.

I did suggest on your crosspost that you could email me some small versions and I'd see what I could come up with. You didn't reply there ;)