Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 07-08-2005, 05:44 AM
TE Newbie

Default Give me Zeros!

I have learned so much here. I've gotten great ratings on pictures that surprised me. Some I really liked haven't got anything. All the advice has been nicely given and I have recieved openly. So I ask, if you view a pic of mine you don't like please tell me why. I know it's not so easy to say something we're afraid might hurt someone else. So I'm saying it's okay. Ones aren't that bad either. I want honesty. I want help!

I want to know what I'm doing wrong as well as what I did right. If I get my feelings hurt, it's right here in writing. I asked for it! :D

Annetta
Old 07-08-2005, 08:24 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Give me Zeros!

Annetta, TE is a two way street. You have to give comments and critiques inorder to recieve them. From what I can tell, you have not been active in the community other than just posting. Simply telling someone you like their photo can get a response from them, and probably a critique as well.

I took a quick look through your gallery. A great deal of them look like snapshots rather than well thoughtout photos. In general, the compositions are not engaging and often times the contrast is lacking. TE is a very tough place for photographers because we all see so many photos a day. A good travel picture may look great to the normal person, but to a vetern TE member it's just another tourist shot unless there is a unique quality about it. This is why 70% of all photos posted on TE get less than 6 points. I don't know what else to tell you besides keep taking photos, learn from the experts and critique more.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
TE Expert

It takes time to get noticed. You are still new. TE is a big place, where photos rush by at killer speeds. In an hour a photo is off the front page and sinking with each new photo posted. What you need to do is establish relationships with people who will take notice of your photos from among the many others. This is not something thats only happening to you but its something that all of us have experienced. My beginning here was just like yours, my work was not noticed. Until I cultivated relationships and friendships with others. Look at my gallery and see the oldest photos and see the totals I was getting. 0'z, 2's, 4's etc. It would have been a rare photo that got a 10. People have a limit of 20 smileys a day.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:28 AM
TE Expert

True. As we spend time on TE we learn to compose. I think composition is whats crucial, and it takes time and active thinking to snap out of the snapshot mode of taking photos. The highly rated photos that score 20, 30, 40, 50 points are different. Take a look atsome of the photos tagged as favorites and you can see why they stand out.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 AM
TE Expert

Default adendum

Next after composition is color. I think if you look at mark's photos you an see how he captures rich colors. So many photos here have potential but fall flat because of their flat colors and lack of contrast.

A good TE photo really has to stand out.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 AM
TE Junior Member

The same for me as well. If you look at my photos starting off, they were for the most part, all snap shots getting no more than 10 points. You can follow someone's photographic history by looking through their photos here. My craft has improved a great deal, thank greatly inpart to TE. I would go as far as saying TE has given me about 70% of my inspiration (the other 30 goes to magnum and pulitzer winners)....although if that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. After a while, people start shooting like others on TE. I've noticed I started shooting a lot like the photographers here I admire.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:50 AM
TE Expert

Which isnt bad. Because in art, all the greats copy those that came before. Its called influence. Raphael, Matisse, manet didnt pop out of a vaccuum. I noticed that for me, I also snapped out of snapshot mode after coming on TE. My early stuff isnt all that good and Im not very happy with it but I leave it on TE to document my growth. Coming here and seeing the kind of stuff shot by maciek or luko or some others has influenced me and helped me get better. Thats the beauty of TE. being active isnt only about giving out crappy critiques to get points, its about thinking about photos, understanding how they impact us and then shooting our own photos with that understanding in mind. So, when I see maciek's street photography, I think about it, and that ofcourse gets ingrained in my head. Its natural then that I will be thinking about it, even subconciously, when I go to take a photo. Same with others' photos. All that rubs off on us and helps us grow.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:38 PM
TE Newbie

First of all, you are right. I split my time between here and TL, and I noticed I wrote more critiques for TL. No Idea why, I guess I just feel into a habit. I'll work on writing more critiques for here.

Thank you so much for your advice! You've been a great help!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:41 PM
TE Newbie

Default Thanks everyone

Work on composition, look at others great photos and critique more!

That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for your help! ;D
Old 07-08-2005, 05:51 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Thanks everyone

Glad to help you out. Keep shooting and keep looking at other photographers' works, particularly those whose style and subject matter you like. Learn from better photographers, there are a lot of very very good ones here. TE WILL make you a better photog, thats a guarantee.