Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > TE Projects

Notices

Old 07-04-2005, 06:55 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: MInimum resolution of the files?

From another <A href="http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=10&t=113734&m=168821">thread >></A>

Also important, we must define and be sure that any suggestion will fit technical demands for size: I.E photos under 2000x1500 in original will not do for printing.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:16 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider using images at TE resolution. Of course this would mean you have to print them quite small, probably several to a page, but there are several advantages to this:
- it conveys the character of TE - these are the images we look at - and this is what *uniquely* connects the images in this book. We're mostly not brilliant photographers, but everyone agrees on the value of the site. Include some judiciously selected critiques and borrow a little of TE's styling, so that someone who picks up the book could learn what anyone who follows TE has learnt about photography, and you'd have something really excellent. Often the critques won't make sense if you include a reprocessed image.
- for whatever selection process you decide on, you will be selecting the final product. In many cases you may find a reprocessed hi-res version disappointing: it doesn't follow that a good TE-size image will be great in hi-res.
- the images are ready - all you need is permission. It's no small task to organise hundreds of people to send in freshly-processed hi-res images.

That said, of course there should still be large images - but then pick the ones which really are good in high resolution. I could imagine a ratio of, say, five small to one large.

A consequence of this choice would be that it is necessary to include many imperfect images in the book: that's where you find many good critiques. That's not a problem, if it makes the book more interesting. Include exceptional workshops and their comments, too, with the originals. Again, this is what is unique to TE, and nobody will disagree with that.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:49 PM
TE Expert

Greg

I believe it is a matter of quality, I have just talked to the printing company and they need high res. files to get a decent job done.

So this is quite important, and this information of minimum res. should be part of the THEMES creation and invitation.

K.
Pd. we do not have to forget photograpers notes, they will require space as well...too many pictures per page will get kind of confusing, that is my humble opinion
Old 07-04-2005, 11:57 PM
TE Expert

Reading till now may I conclude
a book A3 format will give many possibilities
- putting two bigger sized pictures on the right side with the note evantually translated in another language on the left side
- putting standing bigger sized one on left, one on right with the notes together
- putting 4 pictures a page with the notes beside left, as well right as left, making 8 togheter
- putting 4 smaller standing square with notes under it a page, so two sides also 8
- putting one full page with a standing or square photo, note on the left page
- maybe if liked one big sized normal but turned in the book and note also turned on the left handed page ?

Could this be the target ?
then there a several differant resolutions required and consequently several themes
or
restrict the themes to two
- one for big resulutions
- one for smaller resolutions
subjects will be in the spirit of TE 'Learning about .....'
after these photos can be put together as needed by more specified themes like ... landscapes but in the book a mix could be possible as a landscape with a a detail of human activity in that landscape f.i. all depending on the offered images.

What is your opinion ?
and what resulutions we should maintain for big sized and for small sized ?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:16 AM
TE Expert

I've seen you've been doing your homework :) nice to see this moving... it's going slow but is moving eheh

I know Cesar is seeking printing prices, but maybe A3 isn't affordable, personaly i was thinking in A4

- 1 Full page photo with notes at bottom
- 2 semi pages photos with notes on the side

M.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:18 AM
TE Expert

Thanks Mario
the ice is broken
two themes were started

TE Book 2005 - Own Photos
and
TE Book 2005 - Other Members Photos

for today we can conclude by discussing the price of good whisky. :))))
Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 AM
TE Expert

Default After the exam

...my mind is so busy with the book that I was not so focused at my test!

Now I am back. I am checking several printing options, different page sizes and number of sheets...

My plan is to show results by the end of the week.
We will have a clearer idea of what we are talking about.

K.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:07 AM
TE Expert

To obtain a certain size in centimeter or inch for a picture when printed, one need to use variable resolution following the the size of the sensor that was used when taking the picture for example, I have an 8Mp (8,80 x 6,60mm) camera, we know that the minimum resolution per inch for printing is 300 pixel per inches. Now, to get a picture size from my camera close to A4 format, the size in pixels need to be 3264x2248 (or 2448x3264 depending on the picture orientation).

2448 / 300ppi = 8,16 inches = 20,76 cm
3264 / 300ppi = 10,8 inches = 27,43 cm
A4 = 21 x 29,7 cm

Saved under TIFF (to keep the advantage of 16 bit/layer for post-processing that will surely take place during pre-press stage) the file weight is up to 200 Mo. Now, those pixel size mention above is the natural size of all files produced by my camera when set to the highest resolution. But for other type of cameras with smaller size sensor, to achieve a printing size close to A4, some resampling will be needed with all the inconvenient which my occur when badly done (lost of sharpness).

The above should not be a problem for scanned picture as they can be rescanned according to what we're willing to do with it (I've read that someone can have access to a drum scanner). Although the limit here will be the size of the negative or the print (a 6x6 film can be scanned at higher resolution than a 35mm film).

Other parameters has to be taken in account to decide which resolution, the structure of a printed document has nothing to do with the structure of a digital picture. A pixel from a digtal picture is not the same than a cell from the frame of a printed document. When printing in CMJN (oh yes, picture space will need to be converted to CMJN space prior printing, some colours may shift) the frame angle will vary following the plate used; the yellow plate will be at 0 or 90, black at 45, cyan at 105 and magenta 75. If the black is at 45 and the yellow at 0 or 90 the ratio between a black frame's cell and a yellow frame's cell is 1,41 (root square of 2). Therefore if we want to have at least 1 pixel for one frame's cell the ratio between picture resolution (pixel/inch) and the frame (line/inch) must be at least 1,41.

In a better world to get a picture to the proper size with the best quality, we would just need to ask ourselves the following questions:

- Which will be the size of the printed document?
- Which printing frame used by the printer (in lpi)?
- What ratio between picture resolution (in ppi) and the printing frame the printer require?
- Will there be margin or recroping?

But all the reply above is only useful before acquiring the picture (before shooting or scanning; see the serious advantage of scanned picture over digital camera?). Which mean the final printed size of a picture will really depend on the quality of the file provided by the members. Before this, I don't think we can really decide what exactly the layout of the book will.

What we need to ask to members is to provide us with best resolution they can achieve (and they should not resample their picture).

Cheers,

Romain.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
TE Expert

Default My two cents worth!

I'll repeat a comment I made on another thread. I believe we should put more emphasis on the photographer whose work is being shown by displaying an assortment of photos on the right hand page and including a photograph of the member as well as biographical notes and a photographer's statement that would speak to how the person approaches taking photos. For example, Henk, you would likely speak to your annual journey to India where you take photos of locals you've come to know over the years. In my estimation, this kind of information is what makes TE unique and would be a great interest to readers. I understand this would make it impossible to include photos from everyone now active at TE, but it would provide a compelling point of view. Personally, I'm much rather see 150 photos with 150 introductions to devoted photographers sharing their work on TE, than 300 photos. I can imagine the stories of members would be quite compelling to prospective readers.

My two cents worth.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: My two cents worth!

Ideas are being molded and yours is taken in serious consideration
let's have some respect for Cesar , he is doing exams right now
so let's be patient
maybe a whole new concept is under the way ?