Default TE book - Thread for resources required

Human resources and task assignment

How to become a volunteer for the project

everything related to logistics and infraestructure required

K.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TE book - Thread for resources required

Hi you all. I started this thread and I believe we need to make an inventory of the human resources available for this project.

So we can use this thread to describe shortly in what ways you can contribute to this project in terms of skills.

Name: Cesar Velazquez
Profession: Electronic Engineer/Studying Management.
Time available for the project: No, but I will sleep less, so at the end YES. At least 30-40 min per day.
Software tools available: Graphic post processing and word editing.

K.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 PM
TE Expert

Name: Mário Lopes
Profession: Project Manager
Time avaiable: I can always be awake till 5am just like yesterday ;) kidding, i will find myself couple of minutes to do my job
Software tools avaiable: PP tools (photoshot/paintshop); office; broadband internet.

M.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:18 PM
TE Expert

Of me:

Jack R. Johanson (jrj)

WEB design, html coding, web related issues, access to ISP/ASP server. Use of some interactive tools like: databases, use of surveys, polls, etc.

Time available: Some

Access to different software tools for publishing, webpublishing etc
Old 07-02-2005, 12:29 AM

Dominique Monrocq
Editorial manager and consultant, editor in chief, project leader, author, journalist, translator (English->French)
Large experience in print and digital media projects: conception, scriptwriting, creative direction, team management, organization (up to 100 people), digital production process...
Time available: depending on what I may be working on at the same time... but, as I wrote before, this is really a full-time job! Expecting otherwise would be a major disaster...
Most of the time, all I need is a pen and a lot of paper. Eventually a word processor (great for layout, too) and progress report charts.
Here's something to start with, at least...
Old 07-02-2005, 02:33 AM
TE Expert

Dom.

I think you can play a very important role in here. But I think you are putting a lot of shiting-shit margin :) i also have quite an experience in leading projects and people... not in this area though

I really believe we can do this without turning ouselfs pro's... no full time job needed... but then i'm just talking with my heart

We don't need to do anything mega, the purpose isn't to put this book in the stores nor it the international circuit... just want to make a nice book, a nice printed book with good quality!

The distributers will be ourselfs... i will buy some, keep one for me, give some as presents, sell other couple among my friends...

I'm thinking this high.... or low... and you?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:13 AM

Default A project is still a project

Whether small or big, there's only one way to achieve it: the right one! On time, on budget and with full satisfaction of everyone, whether people were involved in it or are going to use what comes out of it)...
Of course, one can always improvise and hope for the best. But my experience in such matters has taught me that troubles appears sooner than you thought, and with worse potential consequences.
Working on a lesser scale doesn't mean it's going to be simpler to complete. Where's the difference between an nice printed book for a few chosen people and a nice printed book for a larger audience? Less skilled organization and more problems ahead, to name a few... unless you know how to anticipate both what will happen and what might happen! Always try to expect the unexpected... ;-)
Nice dreams, Mario
Dominique
Old 07-02-2005, 04:51 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: A project is still a project

unexpected is my middle name eheheh

I think there's a consirable GAP between a smaller project and a bigger one... i find this diferences:

SP: smaller financial risk, smaller financial needs... almost a self financied project
BP: need big investment, need bank guaranties or loans

SP: smaller extra help, there's no need to seek profissional layout designers nor text writers nor translators, we can do it by ourselfs
BP: Can't miss a dot...

SP: no need to go in the stores, just on-lines selling and self-distribution, if everymember willing to join buy only 2 (or 3) books the financial issues would be easely overcome... believe me ;)
BP: must be a PRO work or no store will host our books, the selling price will be lot higher and we might risk to get ourself in deep trouble with financial issues

---
I think we must do a "family" book, a book that we can sell to our friends, then in the next here our friends could sell some to their friends... one step at a time

I've seen great, but i do mean GREAT ideas go with the flush because of the ambicion

But i do think you should join this activly, you're important here Dom.

Are you sleepless? can't you dream? ;P
Old 07-02-2005, 11:24 AM

Default I was not refering...

to the goals and aims, but how it should be conceived, structured and organized, especially with dozens of contributors all over the world, working according to different time zones, speaking different languages and with different perceptions of what the project should be and how it should look...
For the time being and what I've read in this multiple thread, I can't see much where's the real added value of getting printed on paper photos available on line. There are some interesting suggestions here and there, of course, but I mostly feel the desire and potential source of satisfaction to get one's name in it, as if this would somehow legimimate the hours spent behind a camera viewfinder and in front of a computer screen...
And yes, I don't sleep much nowadays. Maybe this is what happens when you get older?
Keep on kiciking the can, Mario...
Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: I was not refering...

Well, i would be lying if i say that i wouldn't be proud to have one of my photos here, but that's not the "wind" that blows my heart here.

TE is a huge online resourse, a mega database with more than 170.000 photos... it is hard to someone outside of the community understand our how it works or even our aim, well... i think this happens with all comunities, right?

In my spare time i do photography, i write and paint... sometimes my gifts are my own creations... i think the sentimental value has no price and when someone gives me something own-made i get very very happy. why not try this concept with a printed book, let's do something to be proud off... first to ourselfs!

I agree with you about the organization and conception