Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > TE Projects

Notices

Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Trekearth Book

Vanity is the most important issue and should be adressed before such a project starts. Seperate the bad eggs from the good, so to speak, to ensure the success of such a project.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:12 AM
TE Junior Member

Why does Adam have to get involved? He does not own your photographs...you do. He has already given you this wonderful site to share photos at no cost...do you still want him to give you more for free? How about you do all the legwork, mate?

You know what they say: give a finger and they take a whole hand...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:24 AM
TE Expert

Adam does have to get involved if this is going to be a book associated with Trek Earth. We own our photos but Adam owns all the copyrights associated with TE. And the point is that this is going to be a TE book.

I wonder though why you are so vehemently opposed to this book idea.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:27 AM
TE Expert

Does it matter what people's motives are? The only criteria should be the quality of the work. Choose a 3rd party professional to sort out the best shots. Since the amount of shots is so overwhelming perhaps apply a filter of say 30 points as minimum and then choose from those passing the filter.

But I wonder how to fit all the different kinds of shots into one book. Perhaps we need several different kinds of books: portraits, landscapes, architectural, etc etc etc.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM
TE Junior Member

Why does it have to be a "Trek Earth" book? Why do you need to use Adam's logo? Perhaps just publish under your own title and call it whatever you want to call it (The World Through A Lens) for example. And anyway, Adam's job stands only at granting you his permission to use the TE logo, etc...But I don't think you have the right to ask him to helm the project in any way, shape or form. If he wants to do it out of the goodness of his heart, so be it, but don't force the guy to do it. And don't use the word "have", OK? He does not "have" to do anything.

Why am I opposed? Photography is a huge business that is hard to crack and to get into. You must have a portfolio of tens of thousands of "good" shots in order to be considered into a famous stock agency much less to get published. So if someone ain't gonna pay to get published, doing it yourself (what I called vanity a few posts back) seems kida strange, time consuming and expensive. If you want to sell your prints, perhaps the best way is to start small. Go to a small gallery in your city, show them your work, stage a display for a week or two, generate interest, see if people like your work or not, than try to sell. Once you sell and print or two, you might want to get into the publishing of a photo book as well, but that is way down the line.

Basically, you have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk. And jumping into a sea filled with sharks just because your Mommy and Daddy say your shots are good and that you should publish a book and spend a lot of money on it (your money)...seems childish to me.

If I had to put money on a book or to buy a new lens or camera of join a photo class to improve my skills...which one do you think I would choose?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:38 AM
TE Junior Member

Peter is right...most of the photo books out there (even the ones published by famous photogs) are just crap. Now why would someone fork over twenty bucks for a book filled with photos by people whom they have never heard of? In that case, hope that all your family members will buy at least one copy...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:51 AM
TE Expert

I think you need to calm down.

Why use have? Adam does HAVE TO give prmission IF this is going to be a TE project. If he doesnt, no TE project as TE belongs to him.

Why do it as a TE ptoject? Because its what binds us as photographers. Professional or amateur, we are on TE. Doing it another way is feasible, sure, but it takes some of the context out of it.

Yes, for ONE photographer to get published he needs an extensive portfolio. We arent talking about me, you or any other single person getting published, but us as a COLECTIVE. And one thing we do have is an extensive portfolio of good photos. You wil find hundreds of VERY good to great shots on this site. So as a collective group, we have what you say is needed.

I wish you wouldnt use the mommy and daddy analogy. We arent kids, ok? We dont need your patronizing attitude and your childish anaologies to get the point. I dont like people who think they are above aothers. We all understand the basic facts, yet why should we let that stop us? I think there are enough good photos here on TE to put together one or even a series of good photography books.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm not above anyone...far from it, mate! (I'm the only one here, in fact, that does not want to join this project because I think my photography is not up to par) And I'm calm, mate, don't you worry yourself too much.

All Adam has to give is his permission. The puck stops there. Cheers and good luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 AM
TE Expert

I didnt say whose photography was up to par. I dont think mine is either, but I know several people whose phototos are. Check out mackiekda. That said, theres no reason why there couldnt be a a large enough pool of photos from TE that would make a good book. There ARE brilliant shots here, rare but from the thousands of pics on TE I think you could make a 100-200 page book of top notch photos.

The issue of raking in a profit is a WHOLE different matter to be considered. But its totally seperate from the issue of having enough good shots to get a project off the ground.

We wouldnt even need to start huge. I mean, it could be a limited kind of a deal, we dont need to be in every Chapters in America. A limited edition of a few thousand books to start off and to let us gauge its success. If it flops, it wouldnt be a huge loss. At least though we would have given it a try.

As far as Adam, his involvement can extend as far as he wants it to. From the bare minimum of granting permission to something more extensive. Since it would be a TE project however, I imagine he would want to oversee it to some extent. I know I would.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
TE Expert

Default How about starting smaller?

Look at PBase. They put together the first issue of their online magazine. You can download it and its free. Why couldnt we do that? Have features on photographers, interviews, do some feature galleries on themes of all kinds? If its on-line, we dont need to worry about publishing fees etc. What do you think?