Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > TE Projects

Notices

Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Trekearth Book

I've been a little away from TE so I've only discover this project right now.
I just love the idea and I believe that with team work and dedication from all the members, we can do it! We can make our own book (",)
You sure count me in!

Take care,
Susana
Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume
Default Very exciting!

Bonjour all of you!

I've followed the whole thread and that project sounds particularly exciting. So much enthousiasm in just two weeks!

Don't worry, I won't propose any of my "postcards"! ;o))) - But I'll participate with my heart - TE means a lot to me - and my mind, I'll try to think with you on all the TE Book threads.
And of course I hope to be one of the first buyers of the Book.

Wishing you a lot of succes!

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 AM
TE Newbie

I will authorize the use of any of my photograhs from Obidos, Portugal. I will also help in any way.

David......
Old 07-03-2005, 08:30 PM
TE Expert

Here's my voice:

1. Great idea Kike, but I think we need to focus on creating a part of this web site for selling TE merchandise first (if Adam agrees, of course).

2. If Adam opens a TE bank account for donations, I will be the first one to make a donation.

3. Donations could be used for different purposes, from hiring a team to select photos, either for a calendar, book, T-shirts or mugs, to awarding a group of enthusiasts who would work on projects, etc.

4. Money collected by selling the merchandise could be used for keeping this site going as well as for different good causes (breast cancer, Africa related problems, Tsunami or hundreds of others).

I myself can't contribute with taking a part in any of these projects at the moment simply because of lack of spare time. Sorry.
But I'm prepared and will support any of the projects in any possible way!

Everyone, have a very successful week,

Robi
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: I was not thinking of copyright ownership...

I've been reading your comments Dominique and clearly your contribution is important if this venture is ever to move beyond dream state to reality. It reminds me of the experience when I first received my license to practice as a marriage and family therapist. Folks in my position first designed a business card and then designed a flyer they sent to all their friends, expecting, no doubt, that their waiting rooms would fill with clients. It hardly works that way as most of us quickly learned... ;-)

I love the enthusiasm of the folks coming forward with ideas, especially Cesar whose positive attitude is certainly infectious. There is no doubt that the best part of this adventure is the possibility of sharing it with members of TE whom we've come to know and respect. Yet you bring a dose of reality that is very important. Picking photos is like designing a business card. It is fun and relatively painless, while being completely irrelevant to the ultimate success of the venture, at least if it is to be accomplished in our lifetime. I'm aware of course, that it took centuries to complete many of the cathedrals in Europe. Perhaps the first edition of the TE Introduction to the World Through a Photographic Lens will still be under consideration by participants of TE when Adam's granddaughter is running the site... ;-)

I agree there needs to be formal structure of this effort with firm commitments from participants and clearly identified responsibilities. In another life I did neighborhood organizing, working with community members to mobilize them to address local problems. It was always easier to generate enthusiasm when the venture began than to get people to show up for meetings when there was work to be done. Choosing photos is fun, we do it all the time with our critiques. Laying out pages of graphics and text, or for that matter writing a coherent narrative, is hard work that takes talent and time. I know we have many talented folks who participate on TE, but I doubt any of them have the time or inclination to devote themselves to a task as large as that proposed. It has taken many months to get a calendar published that requires twelve photographs above twelve monthly calendars.

I believe Jose's suggestion that we focus the book has merit, though I fear a narrow focus might diminish enthusiasm among members for the effort. Would a book about “Man and the Sea” or “Western Daily Life”, for example, engage members from around the world? I don't know. Even a more modest book would demand essentially the same skill set as a larger book, though it could perhaps be completed faster, thus requiring less time of participants. One member suggested that if a publishing company took on the book they would handle all the creative decisions as well as production. Perhaps a well-defined subject would generate more interest among publishers and therefore make the project more feasible.

So, it seems to me deciding what we want to produce and determining whether we have the resources of talent and time available to deliver the product is the first priority. If we don't have the resources, then the second question is whether we have a product that would interest a publisher who could then take charge of production. As your comments implies Dominique, answering these fundamental questions puts the horse before the cart where it belongs.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 PM
TE Newbie

Grande idéia podem contar comigo.....
Old 07-08-2005, 12:37 AM
TE Expert

Default What makes a book about TE unique...

IS NOT the photographs, it is the photographers. I mentioned this venture to a friend during a hike today. He's visited the site often because he enjoys my photographs but has never felt motivated to join or post photos. His initial response was that any book coming from this group should include biographical information as well as photos of THE PHOTOGRAPHER. The idea would be to feature one or two or a group of photos by this person on one page and a series of photos of the person and a narrative on the opposite page talking about this person's love of photography, approach to work and involvement in TE. What truly makes this site unique is the community of amateur and professional photographers who share their work and enthusiasm for photography. Who we are becomes the focus, why we feel inspired to take photos and how we share that joy with each other. That would be interesting!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 AM
TE Junior Member

I support this project with all my heart and I agree that it should be the photographers not the pictures that are the focus of the book. It is easy to be a well known professional with sponsorships and money one in order to travel and take exotic pictures. It is different when it is an ordinary person, for whom photography is just a hobby, a person with a limited budget, time and opportunities ... a person like most of us I presume. And books that talk about lives and interest of oridnary people are usually best sellers since the reader can easily relate.
Excellence is in doing ordinary things... in a very unique and original way - something I've read recently. So, let's do it !!!!!
Cesar - I congratulate the idea.
regards,
KRzysztof