Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Magnum and small digital cameras

What are you doing up at this hour? Go to bed.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:16 PM
TE Junior Member

You too, man!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Martin Parr and Sony Ericsson

Stumbled on a pretty wierd site today. As it happens the famous Martin Parr has been doing some promo work for the mobile phone giant Sony Ericsson. They are now selling camera phones so I guess they need big name photographers to market them. Have a look here:

Martin Parr / Sony Ericsson

Kinda strange...
Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 AM
TE Expert

Default No surprise

I have always believed that its the photographer, not the camera that makes thr big difference. A great photographer will make great photos with a top range DSLR or just a point and shoot cam. A poor photographer will continue making bad photos even with the best 10 thousand USD DSLR. Whats always the most important thing is the composition. A great composition pretty much overcomes the technical apects. Not the other way around. besides, the current point and shoot cameras make real great photos. They capture color very well, details, good clarity and sharpness. if I compare photos shot by my film Canon EOS55 and my current Sony Cybershot DCS-P200, I see no real technical difference. And then, theres always photoshop to give your photos that little extra quality wise. what still matters in the end are good, interesting compositions. Thats thw photographers job.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
TE Expert

Default encouraging

Its actually ancouraging to those of us who also prefer smaller cameras to big ones:) Makes us feel that its ok if someone of this stature and magnitude also works with point and shoot cameras:)
Old 06-09-2005, 02:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: No surprise

"A great composition pretty much overcomes the technical aspects."

Sure, of course composition makes the shot. But photography is not only about putting pieces together into something that will make the viewer go WOW. The thing I like about DSLR's is the control of DOF...I like short DOF and DSLR's are perfect for that (try getting something like this with a P&S camera). Of course there are folks who like everything to be sharp from the foreground to the background. More power to them.

The other thing, the most important aspect as it were, about photography (and I think more important than composition) is light. When one learns how to capture light and make an evocative photograph that makes one think, than, and only than, one can say that he or she is a great photographer. Look at Steve McCurry...he is the master of capturing light in his images. If his shots were taken at any other time of day they wouldn't have the same power. Photography, after all, is all about light.

But if shots are made with a P&S camera or a DSLR...it just does not matter. A good shot is a good shot...no matter the equipment.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:44 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: No surprise

I agree, but its still up to the photographer to understand his equipment, its shortcomings and strengths, and to shoot accordingly. But as I said, the deciding factor is the photographer much more than the equipment. The photographer puts the pieces together, the camera just records it. A bad photographer will make bad photos with the best camera. A good photographer will find ways around any camera's weakness and shoot good photos.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Luko and small digital cameras

Luko, it's time to dump that 20D and go back to the root :D
Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Luko and small digital cameras

You'd never suspect how right you are, Thien...

I went out shooting with Maciek on saturday, he was surprised I didn't take my 20D but a lightweighed M6 and two small prime lenses.

Time is back for roots, I tell you, man... (you throw your MkII first... maybe I'll try to pick it from the sewer... :D ).
Old 06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
TE Junior Member

Oh, that is so interesting! It almost made me lose my dSLR envy! Instead, I want an Olympus c-8080 ;) Nah, I guess it just proves what I suspected: a different camera won't make me take better photos. Although the swivelling screen would help, I bet.