Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great gringofil 2005-06-01 4:56

This reminds me of one of Maciek's photos...I guess the location was the same, just the photographer different (and thus employing a different style and approach to the image). I really like the almost duo-tone quality to the whole shot and the people, gathered as they are at the edge of the frame, make the shot work. The icing on the cake, for me anyway, is the huge hammer on the ground. Excellent work.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:35 PM
TE Expert

Default To gringofil: Indeed

Indeed I brought Maciek there like I noticed already, pitty you didn't describe what the difference is in our approach ?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To gringofil: Indeed

Do you really want to know? Some don't, hurts their pride, so I didn't elaborate...but if you want to know I'll gladly tell you what I mean.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
TE Expert

Indeed I am curious but if it hurts others I think it would not in the spirit of TE then, better you mail it.
Pride ? for myself I only try to share a culture a little bit more in depht and that has not so much to do with pride but more in targetting on subjects serving this goal. Indeed some go for a nice or unusual snap, I try to go beyond wondering if I succeed.
BTW If you find the time could you at the same enlightening me on my last question ?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:38 PM

well, I'd like to know as well what do you think about our different approaches.
I took many different pictures at that place, but somehow I like the most those take with tlephoto lens, where people look like working ants.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 PM
TE Junior Member

OK...here goes...

First I'd like to point out that both of you guys shooting the same scene will walk away with two different representations. This is obvious, but I'd still like to point it out. Both of you seem to take interest in similar subjects, but your approach to photography (and here I don't mean only the technical side) is much different.

Henk: You go for the feeling in a shot, you want to represent the human side of the character you photograph and give them a human side (as opposed to just another exciting or pretty picture). Your shots show these people as they really are and the emotions that fill their everyday lives: be is sadness, happiness or despair. Your shots speak to me on a slightly higher level where one has to read into them a bit more to get the full story behind the characters you portray. The example of the same location of shots as you and Maciek...you went closer, but Maciek pulled back. You are not afraid to identify yourself with these people and see them for who they truly are. Perhaps this comes from your frequent visits to India.

Maciek: What can you say about Maciek? His shots are stunning, that's for sure, and he's got this cult following of folks who would kill to have even one of his shots in their portfolio (myself included). But to me Maciek is a kind of doctor with a camera...he uses the camera as a scalpel to shape scenes into what he wants them to be, and in the process trims off all the feeling for his subjects. The subjects are close to his lens, we see them in their daily lives, but, for me at least, it is sometimes hard to identify myself with them and with their given situation. Perhaps his spiritual (if you want to call it that) distance to his subjects prevents him for becoming even better and showing not just pretty pictures with nice colors...but telling a story. Sure, the Cambodia shots of the garbage dump are something cool, but at the end of the day they don't have enough human power to linger in our minds...they seem to fade away.

So Henk...you capture the soul of every person that is in your photo and this is what makes you good. Maciek...he is brilliant at framing and shaping scenes into interesting material, but the WOW fact is diminished by the absence of a human connection with his subjects.

But at the end of the day both of you are outstanding photographers that are making shots I only dream about. So my point of view, in terms of image quality and time behind the lens, is utterly irrelevant.

Keep shooting, guys, and keep getting better and better. One day we'll see you pictures in NatGeo for sure.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 PM

thanks Fil for that analysis, I really appreciate the fact that you honestly expressed your opinion.

and I need to think it over...