Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Gixer 2012-06-14 1:19

I love photos like this and I'd love to take more of people when I'm on my travels, but I'm shy/scared to do so without asking them first, and if there is a language barrier I can't even ask them. In China some of the locals looked a bit annoyed when I snapped them, and others would ask for money. In Nepal some of the old farmers had marvellous faces but shoving a lens in their face felt like a rampant invasion of privacy. His face is slightly fuzzy and not too sharp in detail, was this becvause of the ISO settings or is it image processing effects?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Gixer: travel portraits

Hi Rachel
Thanks for your interesting comments. I know what you mean about being shy, in taking pictures of people, while traveling. However, it is easy to overcome, I think. I like to think that the worse that can happen is that they tell me to p*** off, and, once you decide that you donít mind about that it becomes OK. I find that taking a travel portrait is part of oneís interaction with the person, more of a seduction than an assault. Itís nice to take a picture when they donít see you. If they notice me, then first itís the big smile, not shy, not awkward, but smile, with direct eye contact. Then, raise the camera and show it to the subject. Smile again and look for assent. Any look of displeasure and I stop. I try words as well, even if I donít know the language, words are encouraging, ďgoodĒ said with a smile and thumbs up always helps. I try to to be a friendly visitor and not an interloper. Once one can interact with them, you have got it made. I also remember that so many people, especially in Asia actually like to have their picture taken. I am sure most of those Lamas, with great faces would have loved to have you take their picture. When we are staying around a while both I am my friend, Steve Saba, like to take pictures back to the subjects. It tends to make it much easier to get more pictures.
As for my picture, it was taken in very low light and is a bit grainy.
I enjoyed your gallery and I was really impressed. I think you have real talent in your use of light. You do have a great eye and, I feel sure that your photography will go a long way.