Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Glint 2012-07-01 12:14

hello John,
oh wow! this is so wonderful: both the your photo and the place. How I wish I could have joined you all.You have managed to expose those beautiful wooden timbers perfectly. I just love them and have to stop myself tracing my fingers over the screen as if I am some sort of remote giant appreciatoress (good word that, just made it up).
Where did you get the couple of the staris from? They are standing it just the most perfect place, compositionally? Whether by accident or design, you have done a great job.
Bev

Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
TE Expert

Default To Glint: A Brilliant Meeting!

Hi Bev,

Thank you again for your kind remarks about this one.

Stokesay Castle was a wonderful place to visit, especially for me to whom the whole of the Shropshire area was a closed book. Just a pity that the weather wasn't that great on that particular day but we did have great fun. Lots of good chat, lots of good grub, lots of great beer (perhaps just a little too much of that) but, most of all, great company. You would have loved it.

As a matter of fact, I am led to believe that one evening during the meeting I agreed (perhaps after just a few too many of the fine ales) to host the next meeting in Scotland. I'm not all that sure how serious everyone was, but I do suspect that's what they want. So I'm sure you'll be able to come to that one! Any suggestions for a good venue?

I'm pleased you like this picture. It's amazing that this great hall hasn't changed at all in 700 years. I just love trying to take pictures in places like this where the light isn't always all that favourable. But with these newer cameras, the ability to shoot at high ISO is wonderful. I think this was taken at ISO 3,200 which would have been impossible with my old camera - your new one will do the same and, if you "wind up" the ISO, you'll be amazed at the quality of the images - still some "noise" but nothing like with the old ones.

And, no, I didn't stick cardboard cutouts of people on the staircase - they just happened to be there at the time! But that's a good idea to think about when we're stuck for people to be in our pictures.

Kind Regards,

John.