Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great kevinos 2009-01-19 20:46

Well congratulations, David, on a very topical image, with good news value. He is an engaging little guy and makes for a good subject. The picture however, to me, is rather snap-shotty, with few signs of having been thought out. The composition is weak, placing the subject dead center, which is usually the most obvious and the weakest position. His gesture with his left hand is ambiguous and awkward, if he is saluting, then it is not clear, if he is just touching his cap then it was probably not the best moment to shoot. The two elements in the composition that worry me most are one; the bottom part of the flag (an important part of the image) is out of the frame. This looks weak to me. The other element is those decapitated figures in the background. They are too sharp to ignore. A narrower DoF would have fixed it. The kid looks like he is posing for the shot and that, for me, make it lack spontaneity. (The kid behind look great, with his flag raised in a positive gesture and in a spontaneous pose. Lastly the exposure is not quite right. The jacket look to me a little underexposed and the ground is burnt out with overexposure. The jacket could be fixed easily in pp. but the ground is lost, I fear.
However, it is great to share an historic moment with you. I guess that most of the world is excited about President Obama, and ‘yes’ full of hope too. So, hope, seems like the right idea, the out-going president was certainly rather hop-less.
Regards Kevin

Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
TE Newbie

Default To kevinos: Hope

Thanks for taking the time to write about this posting. It is "snapshot like" because it was taken from a cell phone. Have you had a chance to look at some of my "real" work?
Thanks again,
David
Old 01-24-2009, 06:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To kevinos: Hope

Hi David
Yes, I did look through your gallery and enjoyed seeing your work. Regards Kevin