Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Unauthorised use of an image as a desktop background

Greg,

when I (or someone else) don't mind when someone uses a photo that I shot (especially when I know that person), I cannot see the problem. It's a prove that they like my photos.
On the other hand, when another one don't want his shots on another one's screen, that is his very own decision.
To be clear (because there is always a few ones watching with hunger) : I'm totally against theft of photos, especially for commercial goals.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
TE Junior Member

Hmmm! A chance no one can see my background photo...
At least when people ask me where it comes from (ex. when they happen to see it during a Power Point presentation)... I can tell them it is from TrekEarth.
I would be happy to know that some of my pictures are used as desktop images...else, I would keep all photos for myself in the abyssal depth of my ever growing hard disk.
Eric /.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Craig,
I just realized you are the Shetland photographer. Sorry!

Just wanted to add that I can understand your feelings... because you have such a nice collection of pictures from a very specific place.
It would be unfair and clearly illegal if people started to use your pictures in promotional material for Shetland tourism.
But, I am sure, being on TE your pictures contribute to tourism in Shetland... and for having spent my first pocket money to visit your island (entirely by foot) a while ago (1980...) I can confirm it is a true treasure.

So... take it as a compliment ;-)
Eric /.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Very intersting thread this is becoming...

I am of the opinion that because the image in question was used by a local, in a local context (they live near the location of the shot), it has a value to them and it would have been easy to extend me the courtesy of at least asking!

I believe all art has a value (and it is art if someone choses to have it as their background), then the artist should be recompensed; if not in monetary terms, then at least in acknowledgment.

I have never used an image as a desktop background that wasn't either bought, royalty-free, or my own ( and it's usually photos of my daughter these days)

I have considered removing my photos from TrekEarth; as mentioned in previous threads; TE admin pays no respect to at least attempting to discourage image theft. I am also not a particularly active member anymore - the bulk of my photography now being paid portraiture and wedding commissions. However I have received a few worthwhile commissions for book covers from my work being seen on TrekEarth so I do value it's ability to 'get me out there'

Looking forward to more opinions...

Thanks to all
Craig
Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 PM
TE Expert

"" Should I approach the people, send them an invoice, or simply take it as a compliment! ""

Take it as a compliment...
And, be very, very, very, extraordinary happy about it !

:-)))

All the best

g