Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM
TE Expert

Default Suggestions to members who decide to leave TE

Lately, I have found out about many members who leave TE: 8 in only MY regular corespondents. And I have read about others that weren't my correspondents.
The reasons incocated are these:
--Lack of time.
--Lassitude, as they had been very busy on TE for quite some time. And that must take all one's time; then, there is very little left for other activities.
A solution could be to post only 1 or 2 a month, and write a critique here and there in order to keep contact! But that of course is each one's decision.
--An important reason for leaving too is disagreement with the new administration, which doesn't seem to give a damn about the members'discontentment; who are very strict about us keeping arbitrary rules, but don't have the same rigor for themselves! ( Like deleting photos sometimes wrongly, but ALWAYS ignoring the members'pleas in the e-mail they ask us to send.....)
--ANYWAY, WHATEVER THE REASON, I SUGGEST THAT THE MEMBERS WHO DECIDE TO LEAVE, SEND A LAST POST IN WHICH THEY EXPLAIN THEIR DECISION.
THEN, ALL THEIR FELLOW-MEMBERS WILL KNOW THAT NOTHING DRASTIC HAS HAPPENED TO THEM. WITH THAT SCOPE IN MIND, IT WOULD BE GOOD TO DO THE SAME THING, IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO BE ABSENT FOR QUITE A LENGTH OF TIME.
MALTESE AND MARCAN44 HAVE DONE IT, AND I APPRECIATED IT ALTHOUGH I WAS DISAPPOINTED ABOUT LOSING SOME GOOD TE FRIENDS.
THEN, IF THE REASON IS DISAGREEMENT WITH THE ADMINISTRATION, THEY COULD ALSO WRITE IN THE FORUMS AND TO THE ADMINISTRATORS THEMSELVES.
PERHAPS, IT WOULD MAKE THEM REACT? PERHAPS NOT? BUT AT LEAST, THEY WOULD KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE SITE.
Anyway, I would like to have your opinions about my suggestion.
I have no intention to leave, because I find the international sharing and friendship invaluable ; however, I keep my postings to 2 a month, and my critiques are also limited in numbers, but regular.
Even then, I find TE VERY time-consuming.
Best wishes to all of you!
Marie Louise.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Suggestions to members who decide to leave TE

Very wise message, Marie-Louise! I subscribe everything you say!

In more than one case, I got the feeling that the less good mood caused by some actions by the administration of the site and the lack of communication from them ends up being a very good pretext to give up this time consuming vice that is TE for many of us.

Another determining factor that leads to some members leaving TE is that they decide that very emotionally when something with which they strongly disagree happens. I'd suggest people who decide to leave that they postpone making that decision effective for a few days or weeks before leaving; maybe things look less revolting after a period of inactivity.

No matter how I try not to think about it, I feel that TE is a less pleasant place than it used to be, but weighting the pros and cons, and in a way being a bit amoral and selfish, I feel that there is a lot more to loose than to gain if I leave (except for time for doing something else :-). Even in the worse moments, I don't find anything like TE in therms of mix of sharing opinions and social interaction.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Marie Louise,
Herve (maltese) seems to be still with TE - he last posted a photo in mid-November, but wrote some criques on Saturday, only two days ago. I hope he stays. I can understand members' disgruntlement with the management, but like you I have found no other site which has this level of social interaction AND a site that works pretty well in a 'mechanical' sense. Plus, the standard of photography overall is pretty good. If all one wants to do is display or sell photos, there are some very good sites, but none as 'friendly' as this for members.
The admin seem to have a stonewall attitude and obviously feel no reason at all to be accountable in any way to the people who make this site possible, so don't expect any reaction to any correspondence directed to or at them. Don't lose heart and keep on posting.
Best regards,
Andrew
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
TE Expert

Hi Andrew!
Thank you for joining in this forum!
Effectively, Herve went mad writing lots of critiques last Saturday. That's what he says in his last post: He will carry on visiting his fellow-members'gallery at leisure; but for the time being, he intends to take a break in posting.
Perhaps, it won't last long.
I remember Vinicio last year posted 2 last photos, and within 2 months he was back.
As you say, the quality of friendship on this site is invaluable.
You are probably right about not expecting anything from the admin, and just enjoy the friendliness with the members.
It makes me wonder though, why Adam sold his site. He is the one who made what it is , with the help of the members of course.
Now, he has sold it to people who don't do any work on it. Adam seems to do all the work that's done, i.e. the technical part of it, which he has kept for himself.
I thought he might have sold it because he couldn't cope with the increasing load of work any longer, by himself. Well, as it is, he seems to be the only one working on it!( He often answers me when I write to him about a problem.)
Oh well! Let's just keep on posting, sharing and enjoying!....
Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
TE Newbie

Hi, i'm one of the leaving members. The reason is here:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo876007.htm
Best regards from Romania,
Anca aka onlooker (http://anca-onlooker.blogspot.com/)