Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: James Nachtwey

Thanks Maciej for this link. These are powerful images. I didn't have time to see them all but the ones I viewed are just stunning.
This James Nachtwey must be a very pessimistic guy though, being only a "witness" of attrocities.
I hope I never have the "chance" to take pics of such situations in my country and even if a photographer in hearth I wouldn't be happy to have the opportunity to shoot such scenes in my country. So I'll stick to peaceful landscapes as a counterpart to all these massacres and crimes around the world.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:08 PM

hi Jorrit, thanks for you honesty. you are definitely right here, i have too many pictures in my galleries... but i simply don't know which ones to throw away ;) anyway, i'll try to make my galleries a bit stronger and smaller. thanks!
Old 10-29-2004, 12:37 PM
TE Expert

Maciek,

One of the most successful and alltime praised photo book is Robert Frank's "The Americans".

Swiss born Frank spent two years in America in the midst 50's, he shot two rolls of film everyday during these two years, that's about 30.000 shots and he only selected and displayed...83 in his book.

His ratio of 1 photo every 20 rolls might sound very extreme but it says a lot about editing and the photo quality one should expect before uploading images everyday.

Just to say I agree very much with what Jorrit wrote. I think you need to be more selective sometimes and think about your editing (empathize with your readers, it's better not to show good shots rather than display some than aren't up to the level.. the worse thing that can happen to you is boring your viewer...that's also why inventivity is another key, getting inspiration is ok but don't try to imitate... only sheep feed on the same grass everyday...).

Cheers
L.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:06 PM
TE Expert

This website is wonderful... We realize thanks to the pictures of this photograph that human can be a monster...
Hard to look but necessary, I think!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:20 PM
TE Expert

i haven't visited nachtwey's website since the last time i posted on this forum when i was going all out supporting him..
i dont think i like his work anymore..
it's not that his photographs are too much for me to handle ..
but since then i've started seeing the same kind of photographs almost everyday in the newspapers taken by photographers belonging to reuters, AFP, AP and other news agencies.. im not saying that they're bad photographers.. but i realise that they all take photographs in a hurry to send the agency whatever they can at the end of the day..natchwey's have the similar feel to them.. his photographs have always.. made me feel bad for the subjects.. somewhat making me pitying them.. i think i now understand what luko, darren and jorrit were talking about.. especially luko

nowadays i'm really obsessed with salgado's works.. infact i have hardly anytime for magnum anymore.. i dont remember the last time i spent more than 5 minutes on that site. it's just salgado..
the feeling in his photographs are really hard to describe... but it's far from pity..
when i see his photographs of the workers.. i'm left in an awe.. there is just soo much hardwork.. pride.. self respect caught in each of those photographs.. it kind of makes me envy them instead of feeling bad for them...
in the case of refugees and children and other victims.. there is no pity felt.. but there is an overwhelming feeling of opening my arms out to them and embracing them.. i guess like luko mentioned somewhere .. salgado's photographs capture the true essence of humanity.. :)

salgado
salgado's own site
the beautiful terra link to salgado's work that luko had posted earlier.. incase some of you havent seen it already.

merry christmas and a happy new year to you all :)
Old 12-24-2004, 01:45 AM
TE Expert

Amen, brother Sohrab ;D

I'm happy you heard the good word of Salgado, I guess you need now the "Workers" book for your christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and all members.